Rommel 1/16th

First Name
Dan
Hi has anyone done the Rommel Tamiya figure? Recieved this before my Wittmans Last Tiger is due to arrive from China. Very new to figures and modelling in general and wanted to ask a question. Do you clean and assemble the whole figure first or do you wash, prime and paint the parts before glueing them in case of hard to reach places etc on that particular figure. thanks a lot.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I don't know the figure but having done other tamiya figures I would assemble the parts and fill the joints first and leave hands , face and loose equipment to paint separately. Especially the head, it's much easier to paint it separately, as long as there's an obvious separation like a collar
Good luck and let's see the results
N

First Name
Dan
Thanks Neil thanks for the input I will take your advice and do that. Thanks.

First Name
Dan
As for filling the joints can you recommend anything? Thanks.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dan, good question! I've had a look at the model and if I was making it I'd probably make the whole figure and then paint it in one, because there don't seem to be any particularly hard to reach areas of importance. That allows you to get all your filling done at the outset and you don't have to touch up your painting at the end.

Personally, I'd zenithal prime the figure first. That way the deep shadows are already black, so you don't have to get your brush in there once you start the painting proper.

For filling, check out this thread https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/any-recommendations-for-a-decent-filler.38292/

First Name
Dan
Thanks alot I will check out the link now. Yeah its a decent sized figure I will decide closer to the time what to do. Cheers.

First Name
Dan
Also mate about Zenithal Priming. Because the figure is a desert uniform with a few desert colours. Do you prime the figure still with the black and white? For instance would i then add the colour of the uniform on either the white or black primer to create shadows from sun etc?

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Also mate about Zenithal Priming. Because the figure is a desert uniform with a few desert colours. Do you prime the figure still with the black and white? For instance would i then add the colour of the uniform on either the white or black primer to create shadows from sun etc?
I'd do it with black and white, but being heavy handed with the white. Or you could use grey and white.

First Name
Dan
I'd do it with black and white, but being heavy handed with the white. Or you could use grey and white.
So once the black and white primer is on. How do I move forward on painting the actual colours off the model to bring out the shadows etc.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
This might help with the actual painting, it's 1/35 scale but I'm sure it'll work with 1/16th

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
So once the black and white primer is on. How do I move forward on painting the actual colours off the model to bring out the shadows etc.
When you start to apply thin coats of paint you'll find that the lighter areas of prime come up brighter than the darker areas - the zenithal prime helps create a graduation of the colour from dark to light for you.

What paints are you using? What brushes? Are you comfortable with print thinning? Tell us more about where you are now so we can advise better where to move to next.

First Name
Dan
This might help with the actual painting, it's 1/35 scale but I'm sure it'll work with 1/16th

Thanks mate just watched it and its a very good video and I understand how priming and the paints come together abit more now. Useful tips.

First Name
Dan
When you start to apply thin coats of paint you'll find that the lighter areas of prime come up brighter than the darker areas - the zenithal prime helps create a graduation of the colour from dark to light for you.

What paints are you using? What brushes? Are you comfortable with print thinning? Tell us more about where you are now so we can advise better where to move to next.
Right I understand now that makes sense cheers. Where I am right now is just sanding down the rough edges from the where they was attached. Basically finished. Then next week will be glueing few of the parts when im back from my cornwall holiday.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Having painted 3 Tamiya 1/16 scale figures my process is:

1. Cut all the parts off the sprues then sand away/clean up the area you have just trimmed.
2. Remove any moulding lines with a scalpel blade from the plastic parts.
3. Dry fit all parts to check for exactness.
4. Assemble and glue the main body of the figure (excluding the head).
5. Fill any gaps (near arms etc) with model filler, then sand smooth.
6. Assemble and glue any guns and figure attachments/accessories.
7. Coat all parts with extra thin cement before priming.
8. Primer spray all parts (use white for best results).
9. Start colour blocking and painting the attachments. Then move onto the figure. Paint the head and face separately. Note that attachments will have be completely painted before assembly, including detailing.
10. Carefully assemble the figure. You may have to paint over any joining areas again to blend the mating gaps etc.
11. Assemble attachments to main body of figure.
12. Fit head to figure.
13. Detail the figure and remove any final imperfections etc.
14. Add decals to helmet (optional).
15. Base figure.

Finished! How did the build go?