Run paint

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Don’t worry if you’re spraying camouflage on your model tank and the paint runs:

Run paint.jpg

(Via Bas Slaats on the TWENOT forums.)

I kind of wonder how many points you’d lose in a competition if you entered a model of this exact tank without supplying this photo with it, though.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice picture,
...I kind of wonder how many points you’d lose in a competition if you entered a model of this exact tank without supplying this photo with it, though...
Well I don't know but the paint-runs are really small on a 1/35 scale model, so a certain skill is needed to make it look realistic

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I just love these sorts of shots. Proves beyond all doubt that it was far from perfect in the field.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
And road wheels weren't masked in real life either, overspray happens, scaled down overspray is difficult though.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don’t worry if you’re spraying camouflage on your model tank and the paint runs:

View attachment 461828

(Via Bas Slaats on the TWENOT forums.)

I kind of wonder how many points you’d lose in a competition if you entered a model of this exact tank without supplying this photo with it, though.
The judges would probably knock you down if you didn't get the "runs" in the right place!! :tongue-out3: ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
And road wheels weren't masked in real life either, overspray happens, scaled down overspray is difficult though.
Tools weren’t always removed either, as I understand it Karl, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen that modelled.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the paint-runs are really small on a 1/35 scale model, so a certain skill is needed to make it look realistic
TBH, I don’t think you’d want to paint a model of this tank using actual paint runs — I would try it by spraying it without those, and then adding the run paint with a fine brush.

Tools weren’t always removed either, as I understand it Karl, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen that modelled.
I have, and I would do it again if I were to build a model of a WWII German vehicle in camouflage pattern :smiling3: But most modellers seem ignorant about the colours of tools anyway, painting them all in wood and bare steel when certainly American ones were dip-painted olive drab at the tool factory. Not sure about other nationalities, but chances are several did it in a similar way.

Something I just noticed in the photo is the “shadow” of light paint to the top left of several of the rivets, especially to the left of the door and above the chap sitting on the jerrycan. Somebody sprayed the dark patches there from the right and below, rather than straight on.

BTW, another thing to note (that I did spot immediately) is that the rims of the roadwheels have had all the paint worn off them where they rub against the track teeth. This was very common on all American vehicles with this kind of suspension/track (so M2, M3, M5 light tanks, M2, M3, M4 mediums, and all their variants), and not just in desert sand like here, but is very rarely modelled because it’s often not obvious in photographs.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
TBH, I don’t think you’d want to paint a model of this tank using actual paint runs — I would try it by spraying it without those, and then adding the run paint with a fine brush...
Yes that's what I meant ; )

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Arh, paint hurling, yes that's an interesting photo, showing camo in the field . Considering a lot of camo was applied by the crew in the field using a general purpose spray gun and probably paint thinned with some unknown thinners it's not surprising they ended up with over spray etc . Rather different to wingy things that must have been sprayed with a much greater amount of care .Still there was a war on so no time for cutting back , dusting off and playing around like we do !

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
BTW, another thing to note (that I did spot immediately) is that the rims of the roadwheels have had all the paint worn off them where they rub against the track teeth. This was very common on all American vehicles with this kind of suspension/track (so M2, M3, M5 light tanks, M2, M3, M4 mediums, and all their variants), and not just in desert sand like here, but is very rarely modelled because it’s often not obvious in photographs.

Oh Gods! So now that's three colours I'll have to mask to get accurate tank wheels! :sad:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Oh Gods! So now that's three colours I'll have to mask to get accurate tank wheels! :sad:
Rub marks are relatively easy Dave. Just rub the edge of an HB pencil lead along the wear point…..instant worn steel effect! You can have a fun hour or so colouring in track edges and sprocket rims etc….

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I would add it with a brush and metallic paint, I think, probably before painting the tyres. If you mask the wheel and then spray the tyre, this method works too: just brush metal paint onto the rim, not caring about any that goes on the tyre, and then mask as usual.