S Y Scotia - 1902-04 Antarctic Expedition

C

Caledonia

Some sucess at last. I have finally found the Plans; the following organization holds the plans for the SY Scotia.

The Thomas H Manning Polar Archives

Scott Polar Research Institute

University of Cambridge

Lensfield Road

Cambridge

CB2 1ER

They advised that the Plans are reproduced in the following book.

"The Log of the Scotia" by William Speirs Bruce,

edited by Peter Speak published in 1992 by Edinburgh University Press

ISBN 0 74860293 3

the plans are reproduced on pages 40 to 51

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions during my search.

Cheers Derek

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Some good news this morning, found out my bid on ebay for the above book was successful at a price much lower than Amazon and others. Waiting for delivery now, there are apparently 12 pages of drawings of the vessel and hopefully some photos too. Will advise further when received. Derek

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Received the Book this week, very pleased with its condition as it was second hand. Looks like a rarely borrowed library book.

View attachment 53436View attachment 53437

Glad to see that the hull profiles are their, also one for the Whaling Boat. There are a few high quality photos included.

I am going ahead with the project, but wont't open a build log yet as I have to decide the scale, then produce a few drawings, research materials available and obtain some photos of the deck area, as the drawings in the book are for the Ships Hull, Superstructure and some Winches but no detailed deck fittings such as Dog Kennels etc. Cheers Derek

View attachment 55769

View attachment 55770

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

C

Caledonia

Right I have taken the plunge and decided to cannibalize a kit, as I did with my recent Trawler. The kit I have chosen in order to get most of the building materials and fittings is the Constructo's 'Le Pourquoi-pas', Scale 1:80 which was a Research Vessel. My Wife has kindly offered to give me this for Christmas. I got a real bargain with it, Cornwall Model Boats wanted £189.98; Amazon wanted £145.48, and I have seen it on other sites for £202.50. I got it from 'hobbystores' for £105.99 with free 48Hr TNT Express delivery included.

Constructo Le Pourquoi-Pas? - 80835 | HobbyStores

It arrived last night, my wife let me have a quick look at it; it's in a strong suitcase hinged open top type cardboard box with all the wood and fittings in plastic compartments - looks very impressive at first glance. Here are a few publicity shots of an assembled kit.

View attachment 53578View attachment 53579View attachment 53580View attachment 53581

This is a Stamp showing the S.Y. Scotia.

View attachment 53582

The LBP and Beam are very close to the Scotia and of course it is a Steam Yacht as was the S.Y. Scotia. The scale is smaller than I would have preferred, but I think this is a more practical and economical approach. Buying individual fittings would cost more than this kit. Its plank on frame construction.

Plan to start it mid-2013, so will open an 'Under Construction' then, with photos of the Kit. Cheers Derek

View attachment 55887

View attachment 55888

View attachment 55889

View attachment 55890

View attachment 55891

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

st-def-bruce-ship.jpg

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Have now had a look at this Kit, which my Wife gave me as a X-mas present, and will do a review of the kit, in case anyone is interested in it or the quality of 'Constructo' kits in general. See the link below. Cheers Derek

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=91

Last edited:
C

CDW

Well after all the research you've done on the Scotia i would imagine you know her inside out and i'm really looking forward to seeing the build come together.