Saipan. June 1944 - 75 years later......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I need a quick diversion from Pete's G.B and that awful brush!
I've been wanting to have a crack at this for quite some time. So this afternoon I made a start on what I would call a 'vinegarett'.

After the Battle for Saipan in 1944, armour and vehicles littered the beaches and the shallows.
This will be one of them - I hope!
I found this built 1/72 Sherman tank in a drawer. Not quite what I wanted as I would have liked the cast hull, not the welded.

First job, a coat of rust.
P1220607.JPG

Then by sheer luck I came across a second and already built 1/72 Sherman hiding in another drawer. Cast hull, opening hatches - and an engine. Bingo! The above went back in its dark drawer.

Here is the cast hull version.

I made a start by sprinkling the PVA polystyrene base with sand.
I embedded the tank (which like the above I'd brush painted with Vallejo Model Air 'Rust') into the base using silicone.

I then tipped a load of barnacles (More sand) onto it. Then sprinkled some filler powder over the turret where I don't want the surface too rough.

P1220603.JPG

P1220604.JPG

Once this all hardens I will add some colour.

A nice little bit of therapy..... :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,
I really like where you get your ideas from. Doing builds like this never even occur to me.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Neil - don't forget, the tanks were ready made. To get to this stage only took an hour. Sprinkle sprinkle! I should also write that being retired kind'a helps too..... :thumb2:

Paul - I've had it in my mind for some time, I'm doing the build now to calm down from 'That Brush'

Cheers boys.
Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

A snow scene in Saipan.I think you are losing the plot:tongue-out3:.Looking forward to more of this Ron.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Just checked and there is no recognised phobia when it comes to a brush Ron. Another great idea, i'll get the sun tan lotion and sit on the beach with this one.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the most excellent and humorous comments chaps. Much appreciated... :thumb2:

The snow has melted and everything has dried out nicely overnight so I've started brushing on some marine life. For this kind of application I use cheap acrylics not my 'good stuff'

I've also turned the turret slightly to add a bit more interest.

P1220608.JPG

P1220609.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for sticking with it boys.... :thumb2:

I've added a bit of tropical colour to the sand.
P1220648.JPG

Next some 'water'
Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice idea and looking good 570

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Gents.

I'll end it here. If you fancy a wander over there, the final result is over in Dioramas Completed.
Thanks to those who posted during the build. I really appreciated all your comments.

Thank you.
Ron