Scratch Building

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, have just made a start on my Viking figure by ICM, but now I have a question. A strap that goes on the shield it says has to be scratch built, I've never done this so how do I do it or can you get parts like this, any advice greatly appreciated with this or painting figures in general as I've said this is my first figure, have been browsing the net and I'm overwhelmed by the information.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mark,
good quality paper, with PVA glue works well for straps & takes the paint well. Aluminium foil for thinner straps, also with PVA - these are pretty fragile & should be added at the end of a build - or as Alan suggests - masking tape.
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Dave about leaving it till the end, I use pewter off cuts and masking tape folded over then cut to the width required.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Mark, whatever's been suggested is fine to scratchbuild the strap...actually any material is possible provided they are the correct scale thinness and rigid after application. You may need to layer the masking tape as John suggested to get the leather thickness.
If you are adventerous I would suggest two part putty flattened and sliced and when its semi cured, apply. It still can be textured while semi cured.

Cheers,
Richard

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Other suggestions I've seen include empty toothpaste tubes and the foil from the top of wine bottles.
Pete

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Other suggestions I've seen include empty toothpaste tubes and the foil from the top of wine bottles.
Pete
The modern toothpaste tubes are quite thick plastic (well, Colgate ones are) - now wondering what I've got around the house!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Chinese take away foil containers!
Dave
Nope, none of them at all - but that's given me a few ideas!
Just love all the odds and ends that people have or can utilize - if I want to use hairspray, I'm going to have to buy a tin, same with cosmetic brushes (wife doesn't use anything!).
One thing that I do have, and which might come in for webbing/slings are cigarette papers.!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Pete
Fantastic...Pete, the toothpaste tubes are nostalgic as they were my first thick foil used for dented fenders when they still came in metal foil, now they're plastic. I still get my tube foil from Deli Salmon paste tubes from IKEA. My only way to get lead foil were from the wine bottle tops at the time and still is...great for tarps, straps and folded fabric.
For thin paper I use cigarette paper or apple paper, the kind you find fruits wrapped in. I was suspected of smoking when I had a pack in my drawers at home in the younger days. The tobacco from the ciggies were great for ground desiduse, camouflaged netting and hedge leaves.
Type writing or photocopy paper in different grammages are useful too. All these can be applied with white glue or PVA even UHU All Purpose and CA for the metal ones.

I hope these are useful tips Mark.

Cheers,
Richard

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've not bought plastic card for ages ,my fave being the clear lids on cake and doughnut packaging, great for general use and headlamp lenses, sort through food packaging ive got plastic in quite a few gagues best bit its free. Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dave, you just reminded me about my first encounter with using microscope glass sheets I nicked from biology labs...great for shattered glass fragments but stopped using them as the shards were hazardous. Now its free clear packaging from purchased items. I keep these for a few years and if they don't turn yellow then they will be used.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just realized that tomato puree comes in metal tubes - problem solved!
Great...remember to squeeze or roll from the back when using the puree...easier to flatten later.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Great...remember to squeeze or roll from the back when using the puree...easier to flatten later.

Cheers,
Richard
It's ok, we're 'tight' and tubes always get flattened and often tops will be cut off to get the last bit possible out :tongue-out: :smiling2: used to have a gadget here that rolled the tube tightly as you used it, but it must've been broken and binned.