Seafire Seatbelts?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I found that to be typical of the helpful nature of the Japanese Tim. After a couple of days I managed to identify the tube lines, and finding the right stop is a matter of counting the stations from where you are to where you're going. When they had ticket collectors at the stations I would just buy the cheapest ticket, then hand it in at the destination along with a handful of change as you could trust the ticket collector to take exactly the right amount. Not so easy with the machines now though. Another great thing about Japan is the absence of tipping, a great relief after the USA.
I was showing at an exhibition in Kobe once, the organisers provided an interpreter for each exhibitor. Mine was a youngish female, who was also a registered tour guide for the temples and shrines of Kyoto and Nara - guess where the weekend was spent!
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
One thing that really stuck with me was the respect with which baggage was treated at the airport. There was a member of staff posted at the baggage chutes simply to make sure the bags were orientated properly on the belts. He caught the bags as they came from the checking desks, picked them up, orientated them correctly, and laid them gently down so they would traverse the loading belts without catching. I swear Heathrow and Gatwick just play football with them :angry:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I had arrived early once at the station and was fascinated at the platform and train conductors hand signals for every train that passed. And I checked the arrival of all the trains against the station clock and not one was over a second late.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I had arrived early once at the station and was fascinated at the platform and train conductors hand signals for every train that passed. And I checked the arrival of all the trains against the station clock and not one was over a second late.
Ah, that’s what the train waving guy (as my daughter called him) was doing…..
I was fascinated that all railway staff had embroidered job titles on their uniforms…..in English! Apparently it was because the original uniforms came pre labelled from England, and they stuck with the tradition.