Silhouette Portrait 2 or 3 Plotter/Cutter

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I am thinking of delving into the world of making my own masks for my builds. I have looked at the bigger Cameo but they cost quite a bit more and i'm not sure i'd need to create masks that big yet.

Has anyone had any experiences with these bits of kit before and if so. Any advice?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
from my professional experience of using a laser cutter for architectural modelling, I would say save your money, unless you plan on doing many multiples of the same thing.
You will probably spend longer drawing in the CAD programme than if you just cut the masks by hand. If you only need one I can't see the advantage. Add in the difficulty of making a flat drawing of a compound curved surface, such as a fuselage, it seems like WAY too much aggro -never mind paying for the privilege.
I guess it would be useful for code letter masks and roundels etc, but I imagine it would be a long time before you actually saved money on buying masks.
I don't know the machine you are referring to, but I imagine it's similar the CriCut , and what I've seen of that is not impressive
I apologize if this is patronizing and you are already a CAD whizz....oops!
I'm curious to know where tis goes-keep us informed
cheers
Neil

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
I am thinking of delving into the world of making my own masks for my builds. I have looked at the bigger Cameo but they cost quite a bit more and i'm not sure i'd need to create masks that big yet.

Has anyone had any experiences with these bits of kit before and if so. Any advice?
I got my wife one. As a teacher she’s was forever cutting things out or needing multiple things cut.

I’ve basic cad knowledge already and I enjoy tinkering. So I’m happy to sit and learn and make mistakes and learn.

I’ve not used it for making masks but I have used it for cutting thin plastic sheet I think 10 thou. It managed that ok as well, as any paper or card we give it.

Challenges are the stickiness of the cutting pad, you stick what ever you’re cutting to this, and then cut it. If you don’t de-stick it in some way you’ll struggle to remove the first few items you cut.

Setting the cut depth is an art vs a science, you get used to cutting chunks out the cutting mat.

You can set the knife to score vs cut as well.

Overall if you’re only going to cut 2 - 3 masks then probably not worth it.

If you have specific masks in mind and an idea of dimensions, I’m happy to experiment on paper.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I have a video where the builder uses the decal as the templates for cutting his masks from frisk film, which I will be trying out soon enough. If you can design your images and print them on normal paper, hand cutting like this is probably most cost effective. (Might even have it as an MP4 if you would like it emailed to you.)

I did consider a plotter cutter for a while, or even a laser so I could do wargames scenery too, but I'm not planning on running a production line so the cost/benefit didn't seem to work out.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I’ve got a Cameo. I use illustrator to create the files and import into the silhouette software.
The hardware is pretty simple to use. The only thing I would say is that there is a lower limit to how small you can create lettering. You won’t, for instance, be able to create serial numbers for 1/32 aircraft. Code letters, national insignia, other major stuff - all good
Hope this helps
Paul

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The only thing I would say is that there is a lower limit to how small you can create lettering. You won’t, for instance, be able to create serial numbers for 1/32 aircraft.
Hi Paul

I've actually seen a user on another forum create serial numbers and letters down to 2 - 3mm. Which is small enough for me

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The only thing I would say is that there is a lower limit to how small you can create lettering. You won’t, for instance, be able to create serial numbers for 1/32 aircraft.
This is what stopped me from buying a cutting plotter a few years ago. I had the idea that one might be good for making spray templates for markings, but when I did some reading up on them I discovered they’re not accurate enough for the kind of lettering you see on tanks in 1:35 scale. A laser cutter, sure, but not one with a swivelling blade.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is what stopped me from buying a cutting plotter a few years ago. I had the idea that one might be good for making spray templates for markings, but when I did some reading up on them I discovered they’re not accurate enough for the kind of lettering you see on tanks in 1:35 scale. A laser cutter, sure, but not one with a swivelling blade.
This is true. I do think they’re useful for larger markings but the smaller lettering is problematic. 1/35 British tank names, for instance, would be too small (around 4mm - 5mm high). This is my experience, maybe there are better plotters now but mine’s not that old. And, to be honest, I think there’s a limit to the technology not the resolution of the machine. Laser cutting, as you say, produces finer results. That said, I’m very happy with my Cameo - it’s helped me with many paint schemes (mostly aircraft and some 1/16 armour)
Cheers
Paul

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I understand it, the accuracy problem is because the cutter’s blade swivels freely, which means it needs to start a little before the line you actually want to cut, to give the blade to opportunity to turn in the right direction before the real cut begins, and end just after it, to make sure the blade has cut the whole line. This is only a matter of a millimetre or maybe two, which is fine if you’re cutting things that are 5, 10, 20, 30 or whatever centimetres long, but for lettering 3 mm tall and 2 mm wide … not so much :smiling3:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I have been helping a friend set up a vinyl cutter for their business. link to machine
The software that came with it ( signcut pro ) will happily allow you to cut out small things, BUT, it's the weeding of the unwanted stuff that takes the time.
The ''cheap'' Chinese machines are as good as a Cricut or similar , and don't need web access to do some of the design/template/cutting.
What kind of design/mask do you want to cut out , I could see if I can run a demo on the machine they have to show you the accuracy ?

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
What kind of design/mask do you want to cut out , I could see if I can run a demo on the machine they have to show you the accuracy ?

It's going to be national insignia's (99% Luftwaffe), numbers, defence bands, cheverons and a few other paint masks. I was even thinking of making up a mask set for the Fw190 wing colours as i have a few of them to paint lol.