Snow patrol (Not the band!)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here's the base for a quick dio. I'll be adding figures shortly, but the build goes:

6mm MDF base
20mm extruded polystyrene insulation
Coat of domestic emulsion paint
Rocks cast from moulds with plaster of Paris and painted with random splashes of dark brown, buff and black washes
Ground cover from real dried leaves cut with leaf cutters and crumbled remnants on thinned PVA
Grape stalks
Snow covering of baking powder on thinned PVA.

Tip: I used to use an old tea strainer (For those not in the know, in the olden days tea was made by adding boiling water to tea leaves in a pot. It was then poured into the cup through a fine mesh strainer to catch the loose tea leaves. I know! What a faff!) to sprinkle the baking powder over the base. I couldn't find my strainer, but the filter from my tumble drier worked perfectly. Put a teaspoon of baking powder on the filter and tap the edge gently to create a fine dusting of powder. Repeat as necessary.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the result. Pics taken from all four sides.

IMGP4384.JPG

IMGP4385.JPG

IMGP4386.JPG

IMGP4387.JPG

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just shows that you can get a superb, very realistic result without all the fancy, pricey stuff manufacturers develop to part us from our hard earned.
Look forward to the figures.

Don't forget to put the filter back in the dryer :smiling2:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just look at that! Xmas is here already, I still have two bases strolling along plus a third to get started, thanks for the inspiration to get a move on. And I second JimR's comment about paying out.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

Just had a quick guess at the cost of the base. Ignoring the cost of the rubber moulds for the rocks - which will be used many more times - and the grapes which tasted very nice thank you, I reckon this came to less than £5.00.

The figures (more on those later) cost £25. Add in a little for paint and you're probably looking at £30 for the whole thing. Just got to sort out how to do the footmarks for the figures now.

Makes up for my other ongoing build - you know which one. That's set me back the best part of £200 so far! :sad::crying:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just shows that you can get a superb, very realistic result without all the fancy, pricey stuff manufacturers develop to part us from our hard earned.
Look forward to the figures.

Don't forget to put the filter back in the dryer :smiling2:

I did the 'snow' in two stages. First I did just the base, then I added the 'trees' then added more 'snow'. And yes, thanks for the reminder - the filter is back where it belongs!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very effective snow. Looking good.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dave, did I miss what scale this is or have you not decided yet? ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Works for me......you'll get plenty of use out of it then. ;)