Spitfire camouflage (Be gentle with me!)

A

AVB99

Hello

My 1:48 Mk 16 Spitfire now has it's primer and I'm delighted with the finish. So far it's the best model I've made.

Time now to ruin it!

I believe that the camouflage is not clearly accentuated lines but tends to be a bit faded at the edges. Is this correct? How do I get that effect please and is it something to do with the masking??

Many thanks

C

CDW

I'm not an aircraft bulder myself Aidan but i believe that blue tack can be used to get the softer lines.

I used to do this when spraying artwork on bikes and cars ..... strange that i've never airbrushed a model really :smiling3:

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct if this isn't the perfect solution

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There is some very good evidence that Spitfires were painted,at the factory,using masks to create the upper surface camouflage delineations. This gave at 1:1 a pretty hard edge,at any kind of scale representation this would certainly be hard.The demarcation between the upper and lower colours was similarly regulated and would be hard on a scale model. Some aircraft may have been repainted or re-camouflaged later with less stringent regulation.

A slightly soft edge,as achieved with raised masks,Blu-Tac etc can give a nice artistic interpretation. In my opinion a loose,diffuse demarcation is unrealistic.

Cheers

Steve

A

AVB99

\ said:
There is some very good evidence that Spitfires were painted,at the factory,using masks to create the upper surface camouflage delineations. This gave at 1:1 a pretty hard edge,at any kind of scale representation this would certainly be hard.The demarcation between the upper and lower colours was similarly regulated and would be hard on a scale model. Some aircraft may have been repainted or re-camouflaged later with less stringent regulation.A slightly soft edge,as achieved with raised masks,Blu-Tac etc can give a nice artistic interpretation. In my opinion a loose,diffuse demarcation is unrealistic.

Cheers

Steve
Thank you Steve. Delineation! Nice word for a Wednesday evening.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use white tac snakes with Tammy tape filling the gaps between. It gives a good balance between too soft an edge and a hard one with the risk of paint build up against the masking.

First Name
Dave
I use the same method as Barry.Works well.Much easier than trying to spray the camo freehand.And looks a lot better than when I used to do it by brush painting.