Spitfire Mk.XVI (Revell 1:48)

A

AlasdairGF

Been really busy with work of late, so hardly any modelling done.

Have made a start on the Revell 1:48 Mk.XVI Spit... decided to be a bit ambitious and do it with the engine cowling off...

Started OK...

View attachment 80480

But proved a flippin' nightmare. Not sure what I did wrong, but if I have the engine block on the mounting points, the whole nose points skyward. Ended up as a bit of a bodge - sawed out some of the frame structure and re-glued to bring nose down, but engine position only roughly right.

View attachment 80481

Office coming on OK... bit of old-fashioned dry-brushing for the instrument panel, and as this is my first 1:48 build, pleased to be able to do the sights properly(ish)!

View attachment 80482

But what the heck is with this kit? Check this gap at the wing root... if I increase the dihedral to close it up, the plane looks seriously odd.

View attachment 80483

Bit more detail: (a) grand canyon, and (b) red line marks edge of fuselage piece, which seems to be way smaller than the dimensions of the lower wing piece. Not sure what I do here... just drown it in filler and approximate a smooth trailing edge at the wing root? (This is just a dry fit - cockpit not installed yet.)

View attachment 80484

Other side similar. Get a better overall view of the plane in this shot.

View attachment 80485

So - have some leave now as the Boy is off school. Do have some work to do anyway, but will keep it light, so might even make some progress on this!

Advice needed, though...

Bought some aftermarket decals (South African Air Force 1951 - leaning toward the AX*B option), but (i) things haven't gone that smoothly with this build, and (ii) there's some doubt as to whether the SAAF planes were Mk XVIs or late Mk IXs (balance of evidence points toward the latter, though the decals claim they were XVIs).

Should I use the decals on this build, or find a decent Mk.IX (any pointers on a good, cheap one?) and save them for that? Kit decals for the Revell kit are pretty good anyway.

SpitXVIe-1.png

SpitXVIe-2.png

SpitXVIe-3.png

SpitXVIe-4.png

SpitXVIe-5.png

SpitXVIe-6.png

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some serious work going on there Alasdair. For the wing root I would use some plasticard or stretched sprue to fill the gap first gives it more strenghth then some filler to tidy it up. As for the decals you can just wait to see what it looks like then decide if you should use them or not

First Name
Dave
Another fix for the wing root gap is to use a piece of sprue as a brace to hold the fuselage halves slightly further apart.Although the cockpit assembly might get in the way.

L

Laurie

Typical Revell of that period. The Mosquito 1/48 i found so many uses for so many types of filler. But still enjoyed building the model as it gave the brain lots to think about.

I did and do as Ian has said. Using plastic infill with glue/solvent gives a really strong joint which filler will not.

If I did not have so much lined up I think this would be on my agenda. Got a 1/72 but 1/48 looks good on the shelf.

Laurie

A

AlasdairGF

Rats, meant to put link in re the decals: http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ACD48009 There you go. Still undecided, will wait as Ian suggests.

Chasm at wing root partially filled - Dave, sounds like you won't be surprised to hear that when I put the cockpit assembly in (it's jammed in - really quite hard! - from underneath after fuselage halves are put together), the fuselage shape widened which made a difference but only part way.

So looks like I'll have to amble on down to the LMS to get some plastic. Never done this before - assume it comes in different thicknesses, what do folk like to have handy?

M

mobear

really nicely done on the engine and pit mate,shame about the wings fit,but i`m sure you can win the fight and fill it with card lol

L

Laurie

A variety of sicknesses I keep Alasdair.

I think wing root gap thickness maybe your priority. Sorry could not resist.

I go from 2mm down to almost nothing. It is easy to sand down to a thickness. I use poly cement as I think it gives a stronger bond. Also to support the wings while the solvent does its work as I have had a wing wilt where the poly has gone a bit far into the wing.

Laurie

Also thicknesses

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm probably way to late, but If on the dry fit the wing root is naff, I wait until the fuselage is completed, with cock pit installed, as you found it can push the sides out. Then check the fit of the wings again.

The one way is then to glue the top half of the wing in place and let that set 110%. Then glue the bottom half of the wing on. NOTE this only really works well if the wing tip to wing tip match up is still good when all things are in place....

The second option is to build the wing, and shim it out with plastic card as Laurie suggests. Just leave the plastic a little proud and then you can trim it back with a sharp scalpel and if need be a swipe of filler to finish it off.

Ian M

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
was going too say what a good start ,till i saw the wing oh,ouch,alot of filling and sanding, :oops:

very nice with the cockpit and engine Alasdair :rolleyes: