Sptfire interior greem

A

AVB99

Hello

Could some kind person please advise me of the closest acrylic interior green for spitfires. Eg the colour of the inside of the drop down door or the airframe. If possible in Tamiya but any easy to get brand would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Aidan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Tamiya XF 71 is the one Stona usesmobear
Not me Ole :smiling3:

Someone else must take credit for that! I use a slightly lightened Humbrol 78 or White Ensign's "British Interior Grey-Green",when I remember to buy it,it's often out of stock.

I understand from those who use the Tamiya range that XF 71 is considered a pretty good match for the British interior colour.

Given the vagaries of photography,monitors etc something like the colour revealed here by the removal of a data plate on an unrestored airframe is what you are after.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDW

just get it to what looks right Aidan .... there's a few references that they used to dilute the paint and mix similar colours together anyway ... no matter what the issued paperwork said :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
just get it to what looks right Aidan .... there's a few references that they used to dilute the paint and mix similar colours together anyway ... no matter what the issued paperwork said :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
At the factories? The inspectors from the MAP had to approve every aircraft at every stage of production as they moved along the line.

Things might have got bodged,post production,on aircraft already issued to squadrons,particularly when new colours or schemes were introduced. The variations of "Sky" undersides that appeared in 1940 following the introduction of the new colour,and the confusion with the older,extant,"Sky Blue" colour would be a good example. The "Mixed Grey" later formalised as "Ocean Grey" would be another.

Colours applied at the points of production and further on at Maintenence Units were closely regulated.

There were variations of interior colour pre war and indeed very early in the war,often depending where or by which company a particular aircraft was built.These were soon standardised by a series of Air Ministry directives and "clarifications". For a Spitfire built in 1940 or later you can be sure that the interior colour matched the Ministry standard.

Having said that I absolutely agree that on a model,any model,you just need to get the colour in the right ball park. There is no point in trying to exactly match these old colours.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Personally I always use Humbrol 78 for British interior green .Regardless of weather I'm painting the rest of the model in enamels or acrylics.

C

CDW

\ said:
There were variations of interior colour pre war and indeed very early in the war,often depending where or by which company a particular aircraft was built.These were soon standardised by a series of Air Ministry directives and "clarifications". For a Spitfire built in 1940 or later you can be sure that the interior colour matched the Ministry standard.
Not wishing to cause a debate but an interview with a couple of factory workers in a history channel documentary about a year ago would contradict this Steve

In short they stated that the paperwork would come through and a set amount of the paint for a set amount of aircraft, they would paint the aircraft as they needed and as the paint dwindled they would dilute it, then they would add other colours to get a colour "close to" the original .. only because of the paperwork and interrogation fom their superiors about running out of materials (don't you know there's a war on etc etc etc) that accompanied sending an aquisition in for more paint.

In the same frame they also stated that materials were substituted, metalwork was doubled up if they ran out of a larger thickness and even local scrap yards were scoured to get sheet metal and sections for braces etc ....again ... all because they didn't want the hassle of explaining that they'd run out.

i can see how this would have happened, there's standards and procedures issued, and the higher "management" of any trade expect these to be followed but down on the workshop floor its a different story.

Anyway, i can only comment on what these chaps said as i wasn't there. there's references on some web sites as well though :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Not wishing to cause a debate but an interview with a couple of factory workers in a history channel documentary about a year ago would contradict this Steve
You are correct that here's not really the place for this.

We'll agree to disagree :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

Yeah, you're right, thats fair enough :smiling3:

Sorry for digressing on your thread Aidan.

A

AVB99

\ said:
Yeah, you're right, thats fair enough :smiling3: Sorry for digressing on your thread Aidan.
Please digress away. I learn stacks from you all!

Aidan