Starting a paint collection which make best?

P

popeye

Hi all

New to the hobby and looking to build a model paint collection. I currently brush paint everything but will be getting a decent airbrush within the next couple of months.

Can you please advise what make would be best to build on.

Thanks Popeye

0ne48thtel

Hi Popeye What I would advise is to get a few different tins,pots,bottles from different manufaturers and see what works for you. You may find you get on better with one and not another.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As Terry has hinted at, paint is very much a personal preference kind of thing. There are way to many things to consider to be able to give a good recommendation that you will agree with.

Practicality: What can you get hold of easy. Not a lot of point in finding out that the paints you want to use are not available/close by.

Which type: There are Enamels and Acrylics. Some of us love Enamels and others Acrylics. There are restrictions on sending enamel paints in the post in England and I am sure that the "clever people" in the EEC/EU/what ever they call themselves this week would love to get them banned.....thats another story.

Ease of use: All paint types are easy to use. Its the cleaning up that the big difference bites you in the rear. Enamels need turps/white spirit to thin and clean. Both pong and cost beer tokens. Acrylics can (I wouldn't advise it) be thinned and cleaned up with water a la tap. Though it is better to use distilled as there is no chunks of chalk in it to clog up the airbrush you soon will be buying.

Also brush or Spray. Some paints can be used with either, others can be an either or.

Enamels brush very well and spray even better but they smell and take a long time to dry.

Acrylics can generally be brushed or sprayed but there are some that are not very pleased with brushes. Vallejo model Air is great for spraying, but can give problems with a brush. Their Model Color range brush very well and spray very well after thinning. and best bit quick to dry and don't smell!!! :smiling3:

As you can see there are many things to consider and I have only touched the surface.

My advice; see what you have close by or are easily available, try a few and see what you like the best.

Ian M

T

tecdes

First is to decide Popeye which paint type. Basically there are two. Acrylics & enamels.

Acrylics are on average water based. Enamels use a synthetic thinner. Spill acrylics use water to wash away. Spill enamels use synthetic thinners similar to home decoration oil based thinners.

Some believe enamels produce a better finish. Probably depends on what sort of model high gloss or matt.

I use Vallejo as it is a very easy paint to use. Model (hand brushing) & Model Air (airbrushing). They also have a huge array of colours probably more than any other manufacturer. The little bottles have easy spouts like an eye dropper. Easy to use & they have less chance to dry out.

There are many on the market & as Terry says give a few ago & see which you like for thep urpose your are using them for.

Go to John's Shop at the to of this page where he has a variety of manufacturers.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
It is all about choice and what you want to do. Once you get into modelling then you will find that standard model paints just aren't enough. I use oil paints, water colour paints, spray paints, gloss and matt paints, varnishes all sorts. You can get different effects by mixing and adding varnishes to model paints, all part of the learning curve.

Si:smiling3:

P

phikoleoputra

Hi Popeye, newbie as well for me. My paint mainly Tamiya enamel and i use Tamiya spray can most of the time. Do not own an airbrush yet. But so far so good.

C

CDW

Just buy them as you need them as well, you'll end up with unused pots of paint if you just go and buy a bulk load of what you "think" you'll need (ask me how i know :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: )

P

popeye

Thanks for the replies guys I ment to say that it is acrylics that I will be using.

There is only one store close to me and all they keep is Humbrol and Tamiya. My next nearest supplier stocks life colour, these have caught my eye, any experience with these? They seem to be compared with Vallejo.

Due to my location most equipment will be bought online in all honestly.

T

tecdes

Go for all 3 there Popeye & see which suits you best. This only way really. Will cost under a tenner which is better than buying say ten of one manufacturer & finding you do not like the product.

Lauri

Z

Ziper_it

I've heard good things about the three brands. Tamiya is actually a laquier and, according to many, not the best by brush, especially on large areas (depending on your subjects 1/48 could be already considered a big scale).

Fra

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Go for all 3 there Popeye & see which suits you best. This only way really. Will cost under a tenner which is better than buying say ten of one manufacturer & finding you do not like the product.Lauri
Laurie's right. Try a couple from each manufacturer and pick the one you like best. You may find you'll use one brand for airbrushing and a different one for hairy sticks. Or one brand for matt and another for metallics. Or ....

Gern

First Name
rob
if youre brush painting, stick to humbrol. easy to get hold of. dont forget that if you only need one specific colour and you order it online, youll pay postage on top . for abeginner, source your paint as locally as you can. a good finish can be achieved with all the leading brands and as your painting gets better, youll develop your own preference.. try and stick with one brand for your first few projects and see how you go. modelling should be a relatively cheap hobby,,,, dont rush into unknown expense.