Sticky situation onboard

T

tidalstream

Hello,

Can anyone offer some advice on glue.

I'm making a mess of fixing small parts to my warship's super-structure.

I airbrush the hull and super-structure and hand-paint the small parts whilst they're on the sprue.

When I glue the small parts in place the glue makes a mess of the paint.

Thanks

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy, the perennial problem....Paint on or off the sprue?

Personally I prefer to fix the small pieces, then paint...Usually with a fine point 00 or even 000. Otherwise, as you point out the glue ruins the painted part.

Any other thoughts chaps?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Depending on size I paint on sprue and then just rub off the paint via a very fine file then apply glue using a pin.

Si:smiling3:

M

MrSprue

Model aircraft have lots of small fragile bits that are best left off until the very end. But as pointed out, painting and gluing last has a high risk of mucking up the paintwork on the main structure. I find using superglue sparingly best for this, but we all know superglue has a habit of getting everywhere except where you want it! I think dry fitting the parts helps. If the parts will stay in place without glue this will help no end when you do glue in place. If the mechanical fit is poor or none existent , a little creative thinking is required.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
One other option is to apply a small amount, again using the pin method of silicone sealant, especially one that has a added adhesive, this doesn't muck up the paintwork can be cleaned off and will fix the item into position.

T

tidalstream

Thanks for the advice, i'll give your suggestions a try.

Andy

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks for the advice, i'll give your suggestions a try.Andy
No Probs Andy, let us know how you go on as it maybe a help to others.