Storage and display solution on a budget

First Name
Alex
Hi people

I've recently taken up model building again and basically i'm starting to run out of space!

Currently, i have an old bookshelf unit with glass door however, it's not ideal for some of the bigger builds i want to do, would like to do a bomber and a bomber re-supply diorama eventually which is going to take up the best part of 3/4 of a shelf.

As much as i would like to buy a bespoke unit, i simply can't justify spending the best part of £300 on a single unit.

Do any of you place your model kits on open shelves? this would be the cheapest and most versatile option for me but i am concerned about my models eventually getting caked in dust!

Another option i've considered is buying an extra deep bookshelf unit which can be bought for under £50 and then buy some pre-cut polycarbonate sheets and build my own slide doors into it, that would still come in at under £100.

Any ideas or tips on how to best display your 1:72 models on a budget appreciated. Bear in mind, i'm in a terrace so floor space is at a premium but wall space is quite good.

P

PWick

I buy a Billy bookcase and glass door to fit from Ikea. I then buy a sheet of reasonably thick Perspex from B&Q ( or any good DIY Store). The glass shelves in the Billy Bookcase are OK but there are only 4-6, using one as a template I cut the perspex with an ordinary long woodsaw with wide teeth (use a hacksaw and the teeth are too close together and will get hot, jam and split the Perspex) Rub edges down with fine glass or emory paper and use sprue leftovers for the shelf supports in the holes already provided in the sides of the bookcase. I get four 1/24,1/25 cars per shelf. Put paper of some sort under the tyres to stop them sticking to the glass/perspex. Price of Ikea bits £60 and a 6ft by 4ft sheet of Perspex is £20.

D

dubster72

I've been thinking about this myself & this is what I'm considering.

Firstly a cube storage unit, like this one. I've already got one from B & Q for £25.
productTemplate.jpg
Then I'm going to get a piece of acrylic sheet cut to fit the front. It'll cover all 4 spaces. I did think about 4 smaller sheets, but as I won't be getting the models out much it seems easier to have one piece of sheet.

Next will be adding self-adhesive magnetic tape around the edges of the storage unit. Self-adhesive metal foil tape will be applied to the acrylic sheet. If all goes well, the sheet should stick in place, creating a reasonably dust-free seal that's easy to remove if needed.

The storage unit can be wall mounted either horizontally or vertically.

First Name
Alex
Next will be adding self-adhesive magnetic tape around the edges of the storage unit. Self-adhesive metal foil tape will be applied to the acrylic sheet. If all goes well, the sheet should stick in place, creating a reasonably dust-free seal that's easy to remove if needed.

You sir are a genius. I think everyone seems set on the acrylic sheet idea. Personally, I would go for polycarbonate since it's shatter proof and not much more expensive, but your idea about the magnetic strips I think is a good one. I was considering getting this unit from Argos. It's only £44.99 and comes in a variety of colours. One sheet of poly would cost around £30. You can go to http://www.perspexsheet.uk and they cut it to size. For this unit I need length of 1800mm by width of 780mm, Clear polycarbonate at 3mm thickness comes at a total cost of £38.68 inc VAT. Having magnetic strips saves on using a hinge and putting extra fittings on the unit.

6094687_R_Z001A_UC1296923_zpstxwwihzr.jpeg

D

dubster72

You sir are a genius. I think everyone seems set on the acrylic sheet idea. Personally, I would go for polycarbonate since it's shatter proof and not much more expensive, but your idea about the magnetic strips I think is a good one. I was considering getting this unit from Argos. It's only £44.99 and comes in a variety of colours. One sheet of poly would cost around £30. You can go to http://www.perspexsheet.uk and they cut it to size. For this unit I need length of 1800mm by width of 780mm, Clear polycarbonate at 3mm thickness comes at a total cost of £38.68 inc VAT. Having magnetic strips saves on using a hinge and putting extra fittings on the unit.

6094687_R_Z001A_UC1296923_zpstxwwihzr.jpeg
Thank you kindly sir! :smiling3:

I like the idea of the magnetic tape over hinges for its simplicity & because hinged doors let in a surprising amount of dust.

The Argos unit you've shown looks to be lacking in depth for dioramas though. Without the specs I'm only guessing, but I'd say there's less than 20cm there. A 4 engined bomber has a wingspan of about 43cm.

The unit I showed could just fit that if the model was positioned diagonally.

First Name
Alex
The depth is 29cm and the unit is advertised as 'extra deep', hmm maybe this unit should be reserved just for smaller aircraft and vehicles. The other option for bigger items is shelving but would certainly need to 'encase' the dioramas or make some kind of acrylic cover over the whole shelf, might actually work out cheaper since shelving and the brackets are very cheap and the biggest expense would be a moulded acrylic cover

First Name
Alex
What do you think of this idea? i've requested a quote from perspexsheet.uk so i'll find out how much it would cost to get one of these fabricated

Model%20kit%20display%20shelf_zpsphhlq3fx.jpg

D

dubster72

What do you think of this idea? i've requested a quote from perspexsheet.uk so i'll find out how much it would cost to get one of these fabricated

Model%20kit%20display%20shelf_zpsphhlq3fx.jpg
From what I know about plastics companies, if they make the backless box for you, they'll charge a fortune.. the postage will be very expensive too.

First Name
Alex
Well, get this , i've just broken up this box into 4 components, and the grand total is £12.25... so you could actually build a 1 meter long acrylic box for under £15. Seeing as acrylic standalone display boxes cost over £15 for even a small one, this looks like it's worth a shot just for the sake of seeing if it works, if you don't want polished edges it's £9.81 ..less than a tenner! bit of glue, some nice beading and you have a handy display cover

P

PWick

12_zpsroxmtcyw.jpg
I also tried the idea of putting a mirror finish sheet at the back of each shelf to reflect the model and brighten up the area. I also tried the acrylic plastic,perspex, polycarbonate cases and they were talking £40-£50 each! I also use magnets and hook and eye clips to keep the doors tight shut and to keep the dust out.

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have some of my models on open shelves. Both they and the shelves do need dusting every now and then. I use a combination of a blast of air from an airbrush and a make up brush (apparently for 'blusher') which I liberated from the boss on the models, and an old fashioned duster and glass cleaner on the shelves.
Cheers
Steve