Tamiya extra thin glue spilt

First Name
Carl
So my son managed to
Knock the thin glue over which proceeded to splash over the carpet.
I cannot see any visual Signs of the glue on the carpet And it does not appear to have marked my grey carpet although the fumes did smell. Has anyone had experience of knocking this thin glue over there carpet and how did you clear up.
It seemed to be instantly dry and not wet or sticky so do I just leave well alone or can expect it to become soiled from walking over in the coming days and weeks?
Carl

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Oh dear :crying:
I'd leave well alone. If it hasn't already dissolved or stained the carpet you may be in luck. It is very volatile and may simply evaporate away - open the windows :tongue-out3:
Jim

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
The few times I spilt TET on my desk I whiped it off with a paper towel and some alcohol, it never left any marks and evaporated very fast, it's more of a solvent then a sticky 'glue'

First Name
Carl
Cheers both . I think ill
Leave it well alone and hopefully got away with it this time. As you say it seemed to evaporate almost immediately so hopefully once the smell goes it’ll be ok.
I might have to put the mask on for a bit even with the window wide open.

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
So my son managed to
Knock the thin glue over which proceeded to splash over the carpet.
I cannot see any visual Signs of the glue on the carpet And it does not appear to have marked my grey carpet although the fumes did smell. Has anyone had experience of knocking this thin glue over there carpet and how did you clear up.
It seemed to be instantly dry and not wet or sticky so do I just leave well alone or can expect it to become soiled from walking over in the coming days and weeks?
Carl
If it’s going to melt carpet it’s fairly instant. Driving back from my parents a bottle of TET leaked over my laptop and the car carpet the skin on the laptop melted as did the carpet in the boot of the car.....

D

Deleted member 7181

I had a very similar incident a few weeks ago. Heard a commotion upstairs, turns out my lad had knocked his TET over. Some went on the desk, some in his lap, most on the carpet.

As said, it's just a mix of volatile solvents so I made him shower and change his clothes (as a teenager he seems allergic to both so it was a good excuse even if not entirely necessary).

I mopped up any liquid from the desk and just left the windows open all day to remove the smell (he wasn't too keen on letting daylight into his room either. Maybe he's a vampire? :smiling5: )

No lasting effects (to the carpet anyway) but it took him a while to recover from the shower and fresh air.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I spilt it onto my cutting mat and it dissolved all the print and indeed stunk the whole place out. Very toxic indeed. I fear the worst for your carpet

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I can also attest to having done this with no lasting effects, so you should be ok.

The question I asked myself is how it's possible to knock something over with a flat, square base. I put it down to something only I could achieve!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It is just a solvent. It should gas off with no issues unless it can dissolve whatever it’s been spilt on. I wouldn’t worry too much about the smell either. Once it’s gone, it’s gone!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
If the carpet is natural fibres and if it has not melted, then no worries. TET just evaporates quickly.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I had a very similar incident a few weeks ago. Heard a commotion upstairs, turns out my lad had knocked his TET over. Some went on the desk, some in his lap, most on the carpet.

As said, it's just a mix of volatile solvents so I made him shower and change his clothes (as a teenager he seems allergic to both so it was a good excuse even if not entirely necessary).

I mopped up any liquid from the desk and just left the windows open all day to remove the smell (he wasn't to keen on letting daylight into his room either. Maybe he's a vampire? :smiling5: )

No lasting effects (to the carpet anyway) but it took him a while to recover from the shower and fresh air.....
Your lad sounds like my grandson. He went camping for a week a couple of years ago. When I asked him what he enjoyed most he replied that he hadn't had to shower for a week! His mother said she could tell!
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Jep Tamiya thin will just vanish into thin air. Literally.
CA glue on the other hand is something very different. If you spil it on the desk scrape it of and collect it into an old jar or tin. If you leave it it will set into a solid lump that will destroy the desktop if you try to break it off.
NEVER try to soak it up with tissue or cottonwool. The heat it generats while drying is enough to ignite the tissue. CA fumes everywhere. Which are not very healthy and as all CSI fans will know will attach to anything. Helpful tip fingerprints on window glass can be removed afterwards with acetone.
Dont ask how I know. ...