Tamiya paint troubles.

• Thread starter Hey look that's me!
  • Start date
H

Hey look that's me!

Hello Model People

I am so glad to have come across this forum, for I am in need of help! In my infinite wisdom, I decided to purchase a Tamiya Barry Sheene GP bike 1:12 scale model.

Not quite the same as my old Suzuki Bandit:scooter:, but close enough!

Anyway, I have dusted off my airbrush, put a new blade on my X-acto and am ready for action. Only I'm a bit confused by the Tamiya paints, and am hoping that some kind soul can shed some light.

• I thought all acrylic paints were water based, but the Tamiya pots contain alcohol, how does this work? Can water still be used as thinners, and to clean my airbrush?
  • With some Tamiya colours still not available, my local model shop has suggested Humbrol (I think), paints instead, but will I be able to mix the two paints together, as directed in the model's instructions? (At least, I assume that colour X, colour Y 1:1 means mix 1 part of X with 1 part of Y?).
  • When airbrushing water-based acrylic paints in the past, I haven't used a face mask. With the Tamiya paints, would a mask be recommended?
  • Before priming, is it recommended to use a bit of fine emery paper, or is it best to simply wipe the parts with thinners?
I think that's all my questions...for now! I hope that someone in model-land can help? As you can probably tell, I am new to kit models, having only built models from scratch before, but I want to make a good job of the bike.

Sam.

N

noble

Ok here we go tamiya paints can be thinned down with water and cleaning the airbrush can be done with water,however i find it usful to use tamiya thinner with the paint as i personnaly find this is how i get my best results.

If you are a fan of Tamiya paint as iam i will attempt to find the colours online, i tend to use creative models or modelsforsale. I personnally would not recomend mixing them with other paint makes e.g humbrol, simply because i don't know what effect i will get if any.

When i use my air brush i personnally don't use a mask however i do ensure that the room is well ventelated by opening windows, my modeling desk happens to be right under a large window anyway but if you feel you want to wear a mask go right ahead.

Before priming any of my kits i will wash them in warm soapy water then allow them to dry, i build 1:35 scale armour so i find this again gives me the best effect. Tamiya thinners are fairly difficult to come by in any large quantity anyway so i only use thinner when iam airbrushing.

This is only my opinion, however someone else may be able to offer better advice than me but i hope this helps.

scott

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hello Model PeopleI am so glad to have come across this forum, for I am in need of help! In my infinite wisdom, I decided to purchase a Tamiya Barry Sheene GP bike 1:12 scale model.

Not quite the same as my old Suzuki Bandit:scooter:, but close enough!

Anyway, I have dusted off my airbrush, put a new blade on my X-acto and am ready for action. Only I'm a bit confused by the Tamiya paints, and am hoping that some kind soul can shed some light.

• I thought all acrylic paints were water based, but the Tamiya pots contain alcohol, how does this work? Can water still be used as thinners, and to clean my airbrush?
  • With some Tamiya colours still not available, my local model shop has suggested Humbrol (I think), paints instead, but will I be able to mix the two paints together, as directed in the model's instructions? (At least, I assume that colour X, colour Y 1:1 means mix 1 part of X with 1 part of Y?).
  • When airbrushing water-based acrylic paints in the past, I haven't used a face mask. With the Tamiya paints, would a mask be recommended?
  • Before priming, is it recommended to use a bit of fine emery paper, or is it best to simply wipe the parts with thinners?
I think that's all my questions...for now! I hope that someone in model-land can help? As you can probably tell, I am new to kit models, having only built models from scratch before, but I want to make a good job of the bike.

Sam.
Hi Sam,

Much as I hate to correct a new member, we ain't 'Model People'!

We're real people - it's our kits which are models!

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Gern

PS Welcome to the forum.

D

dubster72

I think its important to correct a popular misconception here. Tamiya paints are not water-based, they're actually much closer to enamels. Because of that, best results will always be obtained by using the manufacturers thinner. Having said that...! Many people thin tamiya paint with all kinds of stuff, including isopropyl alcohol, distilled water or like myself, the blue windscreen cleaner from Halfords! Experiment with whatever you find works best for you or just use tamiya thinner. Don't mix any acrylics & enamels, thats a big no-no as even though they're similar, they're still different enough to cause mixing problems. Again, due to the composition of tamiya acrylics, a face mask would be advisable even in a well-ventilated room. As Scott said, washing your model prior to painting is best to get rid of skin oil & dust/dirt. Don't wipe it dry, that will just attract dust by static action! Use a hairdryer on a low setting. Hope that helps,sometimes it just gets more confusing! Patrick

H

Hey look that's me!

Thank you for all your replies. I think that my best course of action is to experiment with the paints first. I will have a shop round and try to locate the missing colours, although I understand that some colours are starting to appear back on the shelves :yes: .

Gern - thank you for cheering up this very wet Tuesday morning, apologies for any offence caused! I look forward to joining in with forum life :cheeseygr.

Sam

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Sam,

I'm a bit intrigued as to why you would want to thin your Tamiya paints.

I bought some a few weeks ago and had some problems (I've been given some suggestions by the guys here, but I've not had chance to try them out yet). Anyway, I wouldn't want to thin the paints that I got 'cos they already seem thinner than the water I'd use to thin them!

Have I just got a bad batch or were your paints also very thin when you got them?

Gern

PS I was not at all offended by your first post. I thought it was funny to be referred to as Model People - but I have a very warped sense of humour!

H

Hey look that's me!

Hi Gern

I am glad to learn that there is someone else out there in the desert with a warped sense of humour. I was starting to think that The Husband and I were getting dangerously close to having to produce some off-spring in order to maintain the species!

Anyway.

On first glance the paints do seem quite thin, but after a good ol' stir, they do thicken up a bit. I have a Badger 100 airbrush, and have just invested in a medium tip and needle, so I'm hoping that all will be ok. However, I did read somewhere on this forum that Tamiya can puddle, so I'm hedging my bets. Guess I won't really know until I start spraying! I also don't really have anything to compare with, as I'm more used to using inks in my airbrush. My experience of using acrylics is mostly using the thick tubey stuff!

Sam

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi sam, welcome to the forum. I can only agree with scott and dubster regarding the paints.Ive found tamiya acrylics to be great,although i usually thin them with tamiya thinners, i once tried distilled water but it seemed to dry too quickly as it was being sprayed and kept clogging the nozzle(although it was a v.fine one),ive not tried the screenwash for thinning but i do use it for cleaning the airbrush as its cheaper than using thinners! On a slightly different note, have you thought about using an aerosol for your bike model? If you get an acrylic type youll be ok to use it on plastic,ive used loads on my planes ,halfords appliance white being a staple of the airliner models and their grey primer is obligatory for me,whatever the model.You can get allsorts of colours-as i remember from when i was a nipper ,building the airfix barry sheene honda ,it was red.Aah , that takes me back, it had a big clear windscreen with gluey fingerprints on it!!,maybe thats why he crashed so much,he couldnt see where he was going!!!!!!good luck with the painting and enjoy your time here cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hi GernI am glad to learn that there is someone else out there in the desert with a warped sense of humour. I was starting to think that The Husband and I were getting dangerously close to having to produce some off-spring in order to maintain the species!

Anyway.

On first glance the paints do seem quite thin, but after a good ol' stir, they do thicken up a bit. I have a Badger 100 airbrush, and have just invested in a medium tip and needle, so I'm hoping that all will be ok. However, I did read somewhere on this forum that Tamiya can puddle, so I'm hedging my bets. Guess I won't really know until I start spraying! I also don't really have anything to compare with, as I'm more used to using inks in my airbrush. My experience of using acrylics is mostly using the thick tubey stuff!

Sam
Hi Sam,

I'm extremely glad I could help with your search for others with a warped sense of humour! Your solution to the shortage - having kids - seems a bit drastic to me. The cure could be worse than the disease!

There's a guy called Webby962 who joined recently. He's sent some really stunning pics of his motorcycle models and he's obviously found at least one way of getting a good finish. Might be worth looking at his posts .......

Gern

H

Hey look that's me!

Cheers everyone. I'm actually looking forward to starting the model now!

Sam.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Sam,I'm extremely glad I could help with your search for others with a warped sense of humour! Your solution to the shortage - having kids - seems a bit drastic to me. The cure could be worse than the disease!

There's a guy called Webby962 who joined recently. He's sent some really stunning pics of his motorcycle models and he's obviously found at least one way of getting a good finish. Might be worth looking at his posts .......

Gern
I've been having a good chuckle at this thread and it seems to me this airbrushing and tamiya acrilics lark is more than a BIT of a science, you need a degree to understand it!!

Give me good old enamels and a bottle of turps subs.(can't afford the real stuff)....Although I must confess to using acrilics now and again, diluted in tap water.

Line me up against a wall boys, but I just can't handle the stuff. Perhaps if I had the nerve to try an airbrush..........

Making babies? No good looking at me. I only fire horlicks these days!

:wheelchai

Ron

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
\ said:
Hi GernI am glad to learn that there is someone else out there in the desert with a warped

Warped plastic? Get it? Warped plastic models!:lame:

sense of humour. I was starting to think that The Husband and I were getting dangerously close to having to produce some off-spring in order to maintain the species!

Anyway.

Sam
What I do for Tamiya is:

mix with Tamiya thinners@ 50%

Spray between 5 and 10psi max. you can always use 91% ISA too but it will dry really quick. I would never use water to thin-try mixing Tamiya paint, water and a bit of ISA and see what happens. Remember that the thicker the paint, the more air pressure you will need to push it out of the airbrush-usually 20-30 PSI which is a lot or pressure! Hope this helps, Jeff

H

Hey look that's me!

Thanks for the Stateside info. I still haven't started the model yet, as I'm full of snot (cough, cough!).

But thanks once again to everyone who took the trouble to respond, much appreciated.

I'm putting the baby idea on hold for now, not sure I could cope with all the screaming!!

Sam.

C

colprit

re mixing tamiya paints with other brands

\ said:
Cheers everyone. I'm actually looking forward to starting the model now!Sam.
Sam I am new to this model building but I have mixed Tamiya grey with revell acrylics and they have mixed fine and did'nt cause ant problems and used water to mix and clean brushes, all worled fine.

Colin

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
:Here is another shocker: Try lacquer thinner! Its becoming more and more common due to the reduced drying time. This also proves that the Tamia bottle paint is much closer to enamel, like Testors MM. It does not appeal to me though as I end up with a slightly rough finish-similar to ISA.

H

Hey look that's me!

I think that it just goes to show that different things work for different people. At least I have now managed to track down all the colours that I need. It would seem that Tamiya have re-released the metallics that were previously withdrawn. Hurrah and huzzah!