Tamyia 6x6 2.5 ton truck 1:35

meirion658

SMF Supporter
First Name
Meirion
Evening all,

Just looking to build the above and considering putting a tarp over the cargo area.

Any suggestions of how I go about this?

Ones I have thought of

1.Was looking at using some tissue paper and modge podge
2.Using some linen of some sorts!!
3. VMS Paper shaper... (expensive option)

I'm sure you experienced modelers must have far better ideas for me.

Thanks
Meirion

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Lay some Clingfilm over the area. Tuck it in neatly. Take a plain wet wipe and soak it in dilute PVA white glue. Lay it over the Clingfilm, again tuck it in carefully so it looks natural. Let it dry completely. It can then be removed and trimmed and painted. Then fix in place.
One more point. Before the wet wipe dries tie ropes in place so that the tarp dries with indentations for the tie down ropes.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lay some Clingfilm over the area. Tuck it in neatly. Take a plain wet wipe and soak it in dilute PVA white glue. Lay it over the Clingfilm, again tuck it in carefully so it looks natural. Let it dry completely. It can then be removed and trimmed and painted. Then fix in place.
One more point. Before the wet wipe dries tie ropes in place so that the tarp dries with indentations for the tie down ropes.
That's a new one on me Jim.

Interesting

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some workshop tissue has no embossed pattern as do Spectacle wipes. Soaked in PVA they make a good awning.
VMS paper shaper.... Looks great cant find it where I am. :sad:
Milliput rolled out paper thin can also be used to make tarps/awnings/flags. Takes a bit of practice, Roll it out on a sheet of glass or glazed tile, with lots of talcum powder.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Some of mine are made using pva & paint. It's some time ago but I think it was Scottie that did a post on the method.

Mix pva & acrylic paint, brush it onto a non stick surface (I use a hdpe ikea cutting board) .

Maybe a few coats for the right thickness, then once dry, cut out the shape you want and fold & drape.

Edit: found the link

Last edited: