The end of Alclad 2

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Alclad paint is now made by HR Hobbies in Norfolk UK. We now have the privilege of paying £3.99 for 30ml compared to £3.99 for 60ml Alclad when it is the same recipe.
Coupled with previous site posts regarding the demise of Humbrol enamels, I started experimenting with other brands available from the shop.
I also had a bad phase (check the site) with trying to airbrush enamel paints and getting demoralising results.

I have since tried the Tamiya lacquer paints - the shop has the full range. I must admit I am completely captivated by them. The coverage and colour saturation are really good. The finish is absolutely superb. The metallics are stunning. In my personal opinion they are much easier to use than the Alclads (and others). In short, I would wholeheartedly recommend them.

A couple of things to remember: only apply in multiple very thin coats and clean down with lacquer thinners (don't use white spirit).

Kind regards,
John

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now that Mig has taken them on, they are now cheaper for us in EU as the government ransom is no longer in place...

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
The Alclad paint is now made by HR Hobbies.....
Having got some stuff from them last year, sorry to see the HR Hobbies operation now seems to be over :confused:

I have since tried the Tamiya lacquer paints
As quite a few on here will testify, if you are prepared to invest in, or already have a good ventilation unit, Lacquers are the way to go
While I have not tried the Tamiya Lacquers, I find their colour range limited, my go to are S.M.S and MRP.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Now that Mig has taken them on, they are now cheaper for us in EU as the government ransom is no longer in place...
Well every cloud has a silver lining.