The Few, Small tribute to the pilots who flew in the Battle of Britain.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John

Wonderful piece of work. Hard to believe it's 1/72!

Well done.

Paul

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Paul, yeah starting to enjoy 1:72 scale. When i was a kid it was the only scale i could afford but not much detail, but now days they are on par with some 1:35 scale models.

Have fun, John

R

roconnell

Advice on scartch building canopy

\ said:
Thanks lads it was a joy to build up and weather, oh and i forgot to mention, the canopy is scratch built from clear plastic sheet as the kits canopy was a little too thick to fit over the fuselage. The pilot is from Revell, you get alot in the box and are excellent. There's enough to fill a bomber. Ron i've added some more pics mate, i've tried to got closer.Have fun, John
Hi John,

Firstly would like to say what a fantastic model you have done here, hope mine can come out as well.

I am currently on my third build after returning to the hobby after 23 years and I have just started out on my second Hurri.

As I am still learning I would really appreciate some guidance on how I go about scratch building a canopy so that unlike the first I made I can have the canopy open.

Any information would be most appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Rich

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Hi John,Firstly would like to say what a fantastic model you have done here, hope mine can come out as well.

I am currently on my third build after returning to the hobby after 23 years and I have just started out on my second Hurri.

As I am still learning I would really appreciate some guidance on how I go about scratch building a canopy so that unlike the first I made I can have the canopy open.

Any information would be most appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Rich
Thanks Richard, right mate you'll need some of the clear plastic from things like kids toys. You know the stuff, the stuff that take you a week to get into with a pair of sissors/knive/blow torch or C4, blu tack and tamiya masking tape.

Cover the canopy with masking tape so the hot clear plastic won't stick to it, blu tack on the inside so it won't bend and just warm the clear plastic with a cigarette lighter. Pull the warmed clear plastic over the canopy and let in cool down, if the old canopy doesn't come out don't panic you can use it as a jig and cut around it. It's just like vac forming but without the vac lol. This was how i did it on 1:72 scale and havn't tried it on anything bigger but should work, let us know if it doe's and if it don't then i'm on the run.

Have fun, John

R

roconnell

Hi John, thanks for the advice!

Its always the way when you want some of that darn packaging there is never any in sight, blow me if I am waiting for Christmas!

Just got back from having fun in the den enjoying the smells of melting plastic and trying anything I can lay my hands on including routing through the recycling bin to give it a go....not the bin though!

Finally found the perfect piece and can say that it works a treat mate!

So that I could use both hands I gently warmed the plastic over a candle as with a sprue, the tricky part was trimming it, mine to is a 1:72 making it fiddly.

Anyway results where very pleasing!

Whilst here can I pick your brains further? Can you point me in the directoin of what techique you used to create the earth/grass effect? Did you use anything special, every time I look at your creation it truly is so realistic, can only hope to achieve such results one day.

Thanks once again mate!

Rich

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm glad the canopy worked for you Rich, i'm glad as i don't like running lol.

Ok earth, the earth is just that, well sand anyway. Mixed with 50/50 PVA and water, but painted a earthy brown when dried, weathered and drybrushed. Grass, the stuff i use is static grass from Games Workshop, same again PVA over the earth, brushed on randomly and in small areas. Put on the static grass the knock it off on a piece of paper, it's that easy and it should last a long time too. I've done a good few model with it.

Scorched Grass | Games Workshop Link for the stuff i use, that reminds me i need to get some more.

Have fun, John

PS, any more help matey just ask.

R

roconnell

Brilliant! Thanks John.

I never thought of using Games workshop, have a local one near me so will make an excuse to pay it a visit when the wife drags me out shopping!

When I have finished my Hurri I plan to have a stab at my first dio, have a few things in mind but will see how I go.

I will post results when finished to let you know how I get on.

Thanks once again for your help.

Rich