Thorough airbrush clean, how to video

M

m1ks

Hi guys,

Having had a spraying session a couple of nights ago I did a video of how I do a thorough 'end of session' clean of my brush before storage ready for next use.

Hope it's useful to some on here.

Mike

[video=youtube;k9YnScCetDo]

F

Fenlander

Excellent Mike. That is very well done and will certainly lift some of the mystery of airbrush care from newcomers or those about to get their first AB. Much appreciated, very useful and informative.

B

Bunkerbarge

Cleaning is the one thing that puts me off using an airbrush as frequently as I should. Many thanks for taking the time to put this together, it will be a great help to those who, like me, are apprehensive of the whole process.

M

m1ks

If you break down the process in your head, have everything ready to hand and aren't waffling at a camera on a tripod and trying to make sure everything you're doing is in frame, (unsuccesfully at one point, oops).

You can whip through this procedure in 10 to 15 minutes, 20 min for slow and careful, I used to be the same re not using it for lots of little bits becuase of the cleanup until i'd started using this method, just a combination of ideas from Geoff Illsleys DVD the airbrush manual and various tips i've picked up along the way.

If it encourages more people to dig out the brush more frequently then it's good, and the process works the same for any DA brush too.

Thanks for the kind words Graham, I hope it helps a few.

(if there are any typos here BTW, it's because i'm still cross eyed from masking a 1/144 BF109 canopy, still three panes to go too)

S

Sky Raider

Well done Mike, not having used an airbrush before, i find this very useful. I have just purchased a set of nylon brushes from Ebay for 1.99. I see you dont use them, do you have a reason?

Andy

M

m1ks

A perfectly good reason.

I don't have any! :smiling3:

The only place you can really use these is in the feed tube from cup to nozzle tip but i've heard of people using interdental brushes, (the inbetweeny teeth things from the chemist)

If cleaned out straight after painting, (which I always do), flushing through with the appropriate thinners should clear this area pretty well though but it doesn't hurt to be thorough, if they're wire centred take care not to damage or enlarge the brass tube.

S

Sky Raider

Ok Mike, thanks for the sound advice, appreciated.

Andy

S

Sodster

Hi Mike,

Thanks a mil! Good idea to draw the needle out the front. I didn't think of that and I always draw it out the back (few times at least, since I just started airbrushing). This of coarse leaves a messy trail inside the AB which I clean out with an interdental brush.

I get it clean but your method will definately save me time and grief!

'Nuther good idea comes from a friend of mine.

A home made, inexpensive cleaning station, took me 10 minutes to make:

Hot glue a soda straw into an old detergent bottle.

Half fill with water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid.

When flushing th AB into the straw most of the mist and paint gets caught in the water and soap bubbles.

View attachment 23046

Best regards

Patrik

View attachment 29773

flushbottle.JPG

flushbottle.JPG

Last edited:
M

munkster

Great well explained video this, thanks - I've been drawing the needle out the back of the AB a few times when trying to clean it (in the absence of any other knowledge, although *did* wonder what the little spanner was for!!) so that's one thing I can improve next time. Hopefully I've not messed anything up by doing so...

M

m1ks

You certainly shouldn't have, the needle would typically be drawn out of the back, the problem with this is it leaves the tip more likely damageable, especially when re-inserting and is illogical in that you're dragging potentially part cured paint back through the seal and could damage this causing leakage to the trigger part, drawing it from the front is both safer and cleaner, be careful with the needles though, they damage very easily.

Glad the video was useful.

N

Neill

Good video. I have bought a load of enamels and have an airbrush but don't think I will use them with it. The guy I bought my kit off from the Airbrush Company told me never to take the needle out of the front. I suppose if you are as careful as you are then its ok but I will stick with the Airbrush Company advice as I am a total novice in this area and don't want to take any chances. Thanks for the information.

M

m1ks

I'd ask him why he told you that.

I guarantee he won't be able to give a valid answer, my guess is that he'd like to sell you replacement needles and seals hence the advice.

Novice or not, and regardless of paint type, (Enamel and enamel thinners will be fine even in a cheap brush, the one in the video is), this method is cleaner, safer and far far less likely to drag paint through your rear seal and bend your needle tip.

The only thing you shouldn't do is force the needle forward with the nozzle in place as you can split it.

Glad you found the video helpful though and give your enamels a go in it, use White spirit or turpentine substitute for cleaning as it's cheaper than enamel thinners.