thundertiger ssk

T

thundertim

Im a total novice to rc carring and after winning an ssk in a snap on tools xmas raffle,im keen to giving it a try.Is there any extra parts i should consider getting and keeping handy?are there any weakness that i should keep an eye out for and last and most importantly is,can anyone recommend a shop or mail order company that keeps a good stock of parts please?

Any info greatly welcome.thanks.tim(southampton)

A

adzam

hi and welcome thundertim,

First of all, the only extra parts you`ll need, if you havent already got them is a glo start, fuel and AA batteries. these are available at model shops.

i`m not clued up on the running sides of these particular trucks but thunder tiger do seem to be quite good quality wise, you`ll only need to replace the parts you break.,which you will :smiling3: .

a good easy to use onlione website is modelsport,www.modelsport.co.uk

these guys are very professional and very prompt delivery, please note we are not affiliated with modelsport in any way , just a very easy to use website, and a cracking shop !

any more queries tim, just post them here :smiling3:

p.s , do read and understand the instructions on running in, if your not sure , just post

cheers

Adz..

T

thundertim

Thanks for your help.Ive got the glow start,and batteries etc as they came with the car.I went to hobbylobby in southampton,was greeted by an obnoxious,sarcastic,teenager who was as helpful as bird flu!i asked about the fuel and also about the additive oil thats recomended in the manual to use and was told not to bother with the oil and just use the methanol??im a mechanic by trade and KNOW it needs lube somewhere down the line....whos right?thanks for info.Tim

A

adzam

hello tim,

it`s not unusual yo come accross people who expect you to know better than ask certain questions,

Anyway , as for fuel it should give some recomendations in teh instruction booklet as to the Percentage (type ) of fuel recomended, i think it may be 16% nitro content, but i`ll find out for you .

As for the oil, it`s called after run oil . It`s designed to protect the cylinder liner and piston from contaminants in the fuel if the engine is going to be left for a period of time , these stick to teh walls of teh cylinder and can cause pitting and corrosion. Only really necessary if there are long periods of non use of the model. but not a bad habit to get into

Now your thinking of engine lub`ing ?

the fuel has cleansers and necessary lub`s in it`s content, additional additives are not necessary for this purpose,there are various types of fuels available with different types and contents of oil in them.

A good idea when finnished runing the model is too empty the fuel tank, as the fuel congeels in teh lines, carb etc. Remove the glo plug and pull the pull start a few times to dry out the engine, after run oil is then applied into the cylinder via the glow plug hole.

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Tim,

As Adzam says above you can use After-run Oil which is intended as it's name suggests as Adzam rightly explains above.

If you want a little more lubrication whilst you are running the engine in or for general running etc, a few drops of good old 3 in 1 Oil does not do any harm at all, you can even put a small amount in the fuel tank with no ill effects. I've been doing this for years. The good thing with 3 in 1 is that it is a light grade oil and is available just about anywhere that sells hardware, Bicycles etc...and many local garages.....It is also handy for general oiling of many of the other moving parts on the car too....and it is dirt cheap.

Mark.

T

thundertim

Thanks for all the advise and info,much appreciated.I sat down last nite and read all the instructions cover to cover,it says about 13-20% methanol fuel and also about castor/synthetic oil mix,but didnt state that this was already added in the fuel,ive also sorted out the after run oil.I hope to get the car down to Lepe beach for a bit of a run out.Ive added some pics of the car in my gallery..you may notice ive made up some extra armour fr and rear out of 1/16 ally plate,though hopefully i can handle this better than my car and motorbike!!Thanks .Tim

B

Bluewavestudios

Tim,

If you buy the pre-mixed fuel...it comes ready mixed with various percentages of Nitro added & you don't have to worry too much about the oil content as it has already been done for you....ie the the Oil is already mixed in the fuel. You can add some 3 in 1 in there as well if you wish just for a little extra....useful when running in....you will notice a little more smoke from the exhaust if you do this but that is normal.

As Adzam says above......16% nitro is recommended for your car so just look for the can with that written on the side, it will be clearly marked..thats all you need.

Anyway.......hope you have fun with your car.

Mark.