tiger I mid production

T

Tyler Christiansen

Hi I am thinking about ordering Academy's Tiger 1 mid production w/interior for a diorama. if anyone has this can you answer this question for me: Can the Engine compartment be built opened or closed?

F

Fenlander

Hi Tyler. I don't know if you have seen this review but the top picture shows the engine hatch open. Always an issue between the 'reality' of a subject and showing off the interior. For my 1:48 T34/85, I decided to button it up but leave the whole of the hull top unglued so it can be lifted off to view the insides. Obviously this is not realistic but does give a good impression of all the detail in there.

Anyway, have a look at the review missing-lynx.com - Articles - Converting Academy's Mid Tiger Not too keen on the painting in the review though to be honest......

For a much better paint job, our own Ron (Spanner570) has built and displayed one on this very forum here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tanks/7861-1-35-tiger-1-interior.html

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to see this pop up again!

In answer to your question Tyler, the engine hatch can be either open or closed. If you look at photo 1 of my build that Graham kindly put on again, you can see the engine hatch between the two tow cables. This just a loose, push in fit so could easily be hinged in the open position, if desired.

Ron

T

Tyler Christiansen

thank you guys just one question: what is the proportion of paint to thinner for airbrushing?

F

Fenlander

Not one answer I am afraid. Not wanting to sound silly but it depends on how thick the paint is. I tend to use acrylic paints and find a 50/50 or a 60 thinners to 40 paint works fine for me. Paints such as Revell Aqua are so thick to start off with that you may be looking at 75 to 80% thinners to get a good flow.

The old adage is that you mixed paint need to have the consistency of milk. Thick enough to leave a tin coat on the side of the container. Use this as a starting point and then experiment.

remember it is always better to build up multiple thin layers of colour than to try a good cover in one pass. Based on this, it is better to be a tad thin than a tad thick.....

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi Tyler,

I did Academy's Tiger some years ago, don't have it now so not sure if it was an early or mid production, took ages but good fun. You could look at what must be my only pic of it at http://www.btinternet.com/~melvynsaunders, you must use the http bit or you get BT/yahoo useless. Sure you could have the engine hatch open or closed. as you can see Like Fenlander I did'ent fix any of the top superstructure, so you could always take the top off and peak inside.. Regarding paint thinning about 50/50 seems to be about right, but I only ever use Tamiya acrylics thinned with ISPA much cheaper then Tamiya thinner, (1 litre to 250ml Tamiya) but it evaparates very quickly add 5% water, or it could hit the model dry, enamels white spirit, what a stink!!! no thanks.

Regards

Mel.

T

tommy1drop

Hi Tyler

I have two of these and i love them, the amount of detail is amazing, i suppose it is down to yourself weather you want to keep the engine hatch open or closed.

One thing is for sure you will have lots of fun building it, i know i have im half way through the first one, theres so much kit inside the tank its amazing.