Tips and Ideas For How Best to Display Aircraft Models

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Hi everyone,

This is probably the part of modelling I pay the least attention to, and causes the most headaches for me and my model collection.

Basically, I am limited in the space I have to display my completed model aircraft (all are either 1:72 or 1:48) , and they are mainly displayed at the front of my bookshelves, but this looks cluttered and isn't suitable for larger models.

I am just looking for some inspiration really. I have an idea of finding some space to create a display table, covered by perspex or glass, like you might find in a museum. This would both protect the models, and help keep off the dreaded dust!!

How do you fellow modellers like to display your collection?

Thanks in advance!!

Billy

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've got a few of these, tall but small foot print. A 1:72 B17 / Lancaster fits as does a 1:32 Corsair. And I've heard, you can buy more shelves on ebay.
1668604011016.png

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
if you are looking for a table come display type thing try looking on ebay....filter by closest to you.........they often pop up

try looking on ikea cos they have all sorts of display cabinets

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
if you are looking for a table come display type thing try looking on ebay....filter by closest to you.........they often pop up

try looking on ikea cos they have all sorts of display cabinets
Thanks Paul, will do. Not sure why I hadn't already thought of IKEA...

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've got a few of these, tall but small foot print. A 1:72 B17 / Lancaster fits as does a 1:32 Corsair. And I've heard, you can buy more shelves on ebay.
View attachment 467269
Ive got one of these from ikea, i believe they sell also sell perspex riser shelves for it in different sizes so you can add to it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You will need to stick strips of dust inhibitors to the edges of the door. The gap can let in dust.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble
Billy bookcase with glass doors is more dustproof, needs internal lighting to show things at thier best though…..

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
View attachment 467269
I taught myself how to weld so I could add more shelves to these.
Impressed my FiL with a jig made to do the job too.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Currently use a glass fronted cabinet from IKEA, Hemma or something like that.

i have seen a coffee table with a glass top covering a recess with models displayed inside

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

i have seen a coffee table with a glass top covering a recess with models displayed inside
Always thought that would be a good way to display the big 1/32 four engined bombers :thumb2:

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy

Yeah these two options look the best bet for me. I do love the coffee table idea but the only issue is it takes up more floor space which is at a premium in my office...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You will need to stick strips of dust inhibitors to the edges of the door. The gap can let in dust.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble
If you make the hole in the top for the light a bit bigger and put a fan from a computer in it with an airfilter on so it blows into the cabinet it keeps the dust (and spiders) out.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yeah these two options look the best bet for me. I do love the coffee table idea but the only issue is it takes up more floor space which is at a premium in my office...
But you have a place for your coffee. Win win.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Hi everyone,

This is probably the part of modelling I pay the least attention to, and causes the most headaches for me and my model collection.

Basically, I am limited in the space I have to display my completed model aircraft (all are either 1:72 or 1:48) , and they are mainly displayed at the front of my bookshelves, but this looks cluttered and isn't suitable for larger models.

I am just looking for some inspiration really. I have an idea of finding some space to create a display table, covered by perspex or glass, like you might find in a museum. This would both protect the models, and help keep off the dreaded dust!!

How do you fellow modellers like to display your collection?

Thanks in advance!!

Billy
I have a couple of glass cabinets from lidl but there wall hung for my bikes, aircraft i only have a few of are dotted a round on shelfs, don’t know what your budget is but when im surching for anything i always try Guntree locally its amazing what people are giving away
easiest way is to serch then set an alert that way any items that come up in your chossen area flashes up and sends you an alert, then message or call the seller & go pick it up no fees for buying or selling either
just an thought might be worth a look
simon