To burnish PE r not??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good morning all

Still wondering if it's worthwhile burnishing PE especially railings before fitting? About to start fitting railing to parts of KGV and ham an eggs ( what the sailor apparently called her)

Any opinions??

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Im interested to know if theres any real benefits to it, was reading some reviews a while back about various products and seams generally the black will wipe off but leave the brass not so shiny,maybe itll help with paint sticking better. You could paint a couple bits of scrap pe, one being burnished and one not and see what happens with a scratch test.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Burnish: - to make smooth or glossy by rubbing; polish : To rub with a tool that serves especially to smooth or polish
OK, why would you want to burnish the rails? In wartime railings were all painted, the only glossy ones would be the handrails on ladders, or companion ways ( steps to landlubbers ) worn by constant use
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I assume that nobody has used and can therefore pass on there experience using burnishing fluid on PE, especially ships railings?

I think I read somewhere that it helps if your chip the paint as it will show black and not brass coloured chips?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use burnishing fluid, but never on railings (fortunately never had to!); I use it when it will be appropriate to disguise bl...y awkward interior dark spaces, (works well for interior PE box shapes), chains, weathered things etc. I don't think it's always necessary (or even always advantageous) but it does have its uses.
Steve

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use burnishing fluid, but never on railings (fortunately never had to!); I use it when it will be appropriate to disguise bl...y awkward interior dark spaces, (works well for interior PE box shapes), chains, weathered things etc. I don't think it's always necessary (or even always advantageous) but it does have its uses.
Steve
Thanks Steve appreciated

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have used chemical tarnishing to darken brass. The mig stuff sold as burnishing fluid is, if you ask me a translation error or miss understanding. Burnishing is polishing with an abrasive action. What ever.
As I said
I have used Chemical darkening ideal behind it is that should the paint chip off, instead of is showing bright brass, it w.ould show a less obvious black-brown bit.

If you are into brass try to look up Carr's solutions ans soldering. Often found in model rail road shops. All kinds of goodies.