To wet sand or not??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The title gives you a clue!

I usually sand dry, but do many of use wet sanding??

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use it on aircraft fuselage and wing seams, and car and motorcycle bodies on the rare times I build them. It gives a far better finish to be honest, and the wet and dry lasts for ages without clogging. Only downside is that you have to clean off the resulting slurry. Also, if you are working from coarse to fine grit, clean the surface thoroughly between grades or the previous grit will contaminate the new one.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Definitely wet sand the primer coat prior to painting car kits, I use Taiya foam backed sanding sheets wet or dry with no problems. The addition of a little washing up liquid helps the process. I always dry sand kit plastic prior to priming.
The slurry left in the panel shut lines usually come clean under running water and judicious use of a soft toothbrush or spray water at the gaps through your airbrush if you own one.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use it on aircraft fuselage and wing seams, and car and motorcycle bodies on the rare times I build them. It gives a far better finish to be honest, and the wet and dry lasts for ages without clogging. Only downside is that you have to clean off the resulting slurry. Also, if you are working from coarse to fine grit, clean the surface thoroughly between grades or the previous grit will contaminate the new one.
Thanks Tim, have always wet sanded cars etc, I tend to be to aggressive when sanding
Definitely wet sand the primer coat prior to painting car kits, I use Taiya foam backed sanding sheets wet or dry with no problems. The addition of a little washing up liquid helps the process. I always dry sand kit plastic prior to priming.
The slurry left in the panel shut lines usually come clean under running water and judicious use of a soft toothbrush or spray water at the gaps through your airbrush if you own one.
Hi Steffee

Great advice, thanks

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Do sanding sticks and foam backed ones stand up to water??

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Pretty much the same as Tim for me Bob. I'll dry sand most of the time because clean up is a bit easier but I'll wet sand when i want the job to be spot on.

I find some fillers sand & feather out better wet too, probably because the debris is taken away more effectively with the wet slurry.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Pretty much the same as Tim for me Bob. I'll dry sand most of the time because clean up is a bit easier but I'll wet sand when i want the job to be spot on.

I find some fillers sand & feather out better wet too, probably because the debris is taken away more effectively with the wet slurry.
Cheers Andy, appreciated

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Wet for me too. Some sanding sticks don't like water though, but I think that if they can't stand water they're not worth keeping.
Pete