Toon Tank Tracks??

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi Guys,
I am looking for some help and guidance, have done some searches on the forum and elsewhere but not come up with anything particularly useful and definitive.

I am building a Meng Toon Tank for my son, its the WWT-002 Sherman M4A1... well I have not really done much armour without individual link tracks and non with rubber / vinyl tracks and not sure how I should paint these.,.

What primer is best?? Stynylrez or should I go for Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned 50/50 with MLT or what?? Not sure if MLT might attack the tracks!!

What base coat paints are best?? Should I go for acrylics such as Vallejo or Tamiya XF or is Tamiya Lacquer or MRP OK??

Never done any of these so any help / guidance or advice is most gratefully received?

Cheers
Alex...

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Guys,
I am looking for some help and guidance, have done some searches on the forum and elsewhere but not come up with anything particularly useful and definitive.

I am building a Meng Toon Tank for my son, its the WWT-002 Sherman M4A1... well I have not really done much armour without individual link tracks and non with rubber / vinyl tracks and not sure how I should paint these.,.

What primer is best?? Stynylrez or should I go for Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned 50/50 with MLT or what?? Not sure if MLT might attack the tracks!!

What base coat paints are best?? Should I go for acrylics such as Vallejo or Tamiya XF or is Tamiya Lacquer or MRP OK??

Never done any of these so any help / guidance or advice is most gratefully received?

Cheers
Alex...
Alex, with vinyl tracks, wash them in warm soapy water, rinse in fresh water & allow to air dry. This should allow better adhesion of paint. I always use acrylics, it's not as tough as enamels, but easier to deal with. For tracks, I use AK track primer, and let it dry very thoroughly before overpainting/washes/weathering. Any primer should do, as long it doesn't attack plastic! Once it's primed thoroughly then you should be able to use anything!
Dave

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alex , Dave's said it all so agree.