Tribute to my Dad and XXJ 62.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Hi all,

I built the following model as a tribute to my late father and a quite remarkable vehicle. It started life as a 1960 VW T1 Transporter which my father purchased in 1962 and converted into a camper van based upon the Westphalia conversion but not exact. during 1962/3 we went on several extended trips camping around the UK, France and Belgium which I vaguely remember. The mammoth trip came in 1964 when all 4 of us travelled over 1000 miles each way to visit Dads parents and family in the then Communist Poland. I was 6 at the time and remember sleeping in a hammock suspended over the front seats, my younger brother slept in the back above the engine and my parents had the luxury of a double bed formed by moving cleverly designed boards, table and cupboards etc. We had a gas hot plate and fold away sink with only cold water - no toilet facilities.
To say that the performance of the 1100 cc engine was lethargic is an understatement, we were overtaken on the Autobahn in West Germany by a Mercedes truck with 2 trailers of coal uphill and the dust blowing off them came through the ventilation grilles in the peak above the windscreen into the interior via the overhead console vents and both my parents looked like pandas in negative when they removed their sunglasses. I also remember at the East German border having to leave the vehicle whilst it was searched surrounded by machine gun nests in towers and barbed wire when a lead cut crystal bowl fell out and started rolling down the road, I chased it and apparently nearly got shot!!! Some very happy memories associated with XXJ 62.
The kit is Revell 1/24 scale and is rated, quite rightly in my opinion, as a skill level 5 - probably an unwise choice for my 6th build. Basically built OOB, had troubles with the decals for the white cupboard door seals being a total
mess and one of the checked seats ruined by me, luckily I always photograph the decal sheets so was able to print a replacement on decal sheet although it is a bit darker. Due to the number of body panels it is very difficult to line up as there are 6 opening panels, mine is not bad but a word of advice to anyone building this or similar - the bulkhead behind the front seats is absolutely crucial to lining everything up so dry fit the other panels before cementing the bulkhead in place. Apart from that planning paint sequences was a chore but I thoroughly enjoyed the 118 hours it took to build and this model will be buried with me as it holds so many memories in 1:1 and 1:24 scales.
Thanks to fellow forumites who guided me in how to paint wood effect which I did only using Tamiya Acrylics and I think the interior and roof racks wood looks convincing.
Will have to start looking for scale correct accessories and maybe attempt my first diorama for the camper.
Anyway enough waffle from me I can now bore you with shots of the finished kit warts and all. As usual comments and criticism welcome.

vw 1.jpg
vw 2.jpg
vw 3.jpg
vw 4.jpg
vw 5.jpg
vw 6.jpg
vw 21.jpg
vw 7.jpg
vw 8.jpg
vw 9.jpg
vw 10.jpg
vw 11.jpg
vw 12.jpg
vw 13.jpg
vw 14.jpg
vw 18.jpg

vw 19.jpg
vw 20.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Terrific work and a great story Stefan and seeing your build brought a tear to my eye!

I owned a similar, but a lot older one of these back in 1970. The only major differences were mine had just surfboards on the roof( No lift up thingy) It had small windows along the roof above the 'gutters' and wrap around ones at the rear corners. No posh louvers either!

Our first son used to ride in a carry cot on the rear engine shelf. Our second new born son was firmly wedged somewhere between our bedding and outboard engine!

What happy memories you've stirred in this old git! I thank you most sincerely. :thumb2:

Ron

Last edited:

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Thank you for your comments Ron, isn't strange how inanimate objects stir such emotions?
The bus you are describing is the absolute holy grail of T1s, a 23 window bus. One was found in USA in a dry barn having not moved for 50+ years but was complete and no rust. Sold as found for 30k US dollars! If only we still had ours!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Awesome!!! I know the 1100 flat four very well having owned a VW Beetle so can empathise with the lack of umph!
However, the detail and work you have done is superb.
(Has to be a contender for the DB’s award if ever there was one).

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, that's very nicely done indeed :thumb2:, I'm also one who has no interest in cars or that kind of thing,but can appreciate a good model.
You'd be amazed just how many of these campers we see passing through this way every summer on their way to "Run to the Sun" in Newquay....and they're always immaculate originals,or souped up "Specials"!!:flushed:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you for your comments Ron, isn't strange how inanimate objects stir such emotions?
The bus you are describing is the absolute holy grail of T1s, a 23 window bus. One was found in USA in a dry barn having not moved for 50+ years but was complete and no rust. Sold as found for 30k US dollars! If only we still had ours!

Forgot to mention. Mine had chrome bumpers too!
We had it for about 6 years. The thing literally bent in the middle and went for scrap. Yes, indeed, oh, to have it now.

Most of my surfer dude mates had a V.W van of some sort. There was usually one or two outside our house over a weekend. Nothing to do with friendship - I had a pit in my garage!

Undo 4 bolts, a few pipes and out popped the engine. Great fun and happy times....

Thanks again for posting your great model.

Ron

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Ron,
The US spec ones had bumpers with overrides and small nerves bars with optional chrome mouldings, your chrome bumpers must have been aftermarket or a customization.
Where I lived in Johannesburg they locally made these up until the mid 90s running alongside the newer versions and no rust up on the Reef so loads ended up here.
You are so right, a few bolts , cables, fuel pipe and air hoses and engine out. My best time for engine out to replacement running was 34 minutes, believe the world record is something daft like 4 and half minutes.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great story and a lovely model you have made of it! I too have a VW sympathy having owned a Beetle ( and made a model, somewhere in these forums!)
I nearly bought a Westphalia in the late seventies with the view of travelling round Europe - Then my very new bride got pregnant and that idea went down the tubes, have had a couple of motorhomes since, great fun! Thanks for sharing the memories :cool:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's brilliant.. Take very good and a great tribute!

ATB.

Andrew

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Forgot to mention. Mine had chrome bumpers too!
We had it for about 6 years. The thing literally bent in the middle and went for scrap. Yes, indeed, oh, to have it now.

Most of my surfer dude mates had a V.W van of some sort. There was usually one or two outside our house over a weekend. Nothing to do with friendship - I had a pit in my garage!

Undo 4 bolts, a few pipes and out popped the engine. Great fun and happy times....

Thanks again for posting your great model.

Ron
That reminded me of my engine changing on the Beetle. Wifey had a corona when a couple of mates and myself lifted the car off the engine which was sat on a small hydraulic lift. (I cheated in the end - removed a section of the rear frame so I could simply wheel the engine out after undoing the four 17mm bolts, I electrical connection and the fuel pipe). Happy days.
I can see why Stefan has such fond memories.

• Wow
Reactions: JR