Trouble airbrushing yellow

J

Jeff66

Hi all, currently building an Me 109 but have had problems painting the yellow nose. All other colours have gone down well (Vallejo over Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethane Primer). Have done several thin coats but the paint looks translucent if you no what I mean. just wondering if white primer may have been better....Jeff

First Name
Dave
Ive found Vallejo model air yellow doesn't cover very well.It needs a white undercoat.When I need to spray yellow I use Humbrol enamel.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I find the best way is to use a white primer and mix yellow into that. Then spray the yellow paint over that. Yellow is notorious for being a pain to cover well.

Just watch out for build up and give it loads of light coats.

Ian M

D

Doug Hughes

White primer will definitely help. I had exactly the same problem with a 109 recently and that's how I solved it. In fact these days I tend to use white primer most of the time, and paint the light colours first - even the likes of yellow noses.

L

Laurie

The best way with out doubt is Vallejo Yellow primer.

Any other and you need 5 coats of yellow.

That is model air paint.

Best is to hand paint Vallejo model. Then wet and dry smooth then go model air airbrush.

How do I know this ? ;)

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Ah yes yellow, the age old problem. As said above, best painted over a white or light base.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have to agree, always the light colours first. Yellow is always a problem and should be applied straight over a white, light grey or yellow primer then masked off to apply other colours.

D

Doug Hughes

Like you, I found out the hard way about the 'yellow problem'. I ended up masking off the colours I was happy with, then gently wiping off the yellow-ish mess with a cotton bud and IPA (or Vallejo Thinners), and then re-priming and spraying the yellow. Otherwise I think I'd just have had too many layers of paint.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
With the Vallejo primers, there is the advantage that they can be mixed with any of their model color paints. So a big bottle of white primer suddenly becomes an attractive addition to the paint box.

Other colours that are know "issues" are white and to a point, red.

Remember also that primers can have an effect on the final colour on the top coat. Particularly with the translucent types of paint such as model air and Xtracryix. Both great paints due to the translucent effect, but on the other hand a pain at times when you want a single solid colour.

Yellow under a red topcoat will make the red really pop.

Yellow under green will make the green vibrant and bright.

Blue under green will make the green deep and rich.

Green under anything other than green will be just nasty :smiling:

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Jeff. Don't know if this helps, but I've had some success with this stuff as a primer for yellow:

View attachment 86952

It gives a uniform yellow colour over both the material you're spraying and any filler you may have used.

Gern

IMGP1329.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I usually prime with white under yellow. The absolute worst yellow paint I've tried was the Vallejo acrylic, followed at a short distance by Xtracrylix.

The best has been a WEM colourcoat rapidly followed by good old Humbrol enamel. Both cover white in one if you are brave or more sensibly two misted coats.

Two coats of WEM RLM 04 over white.

Cheers

Steve