Trumpeter HMS Kent

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Spot on Dave. The next day the Grand fleet sailed on patrol, but the High seas fleet never came out again except to surrender. The grand fleet were in uncontested control of the field of battle, so were unquestionably the winners.
Jellico would have had an overwhelming victory if he had had just a little more luck. Scheer used the battle turn away tactic twice (basically his fleet was in line astern and the tactic allowed them to carry out a U turn, a manoeuvre not practiced by any other navy in the world) when Jellico crossed his T, saving his fleet from destruction. In addition, poor signals discipline meant that Jellico wasn’t told the Germans were passing a couple of hundred yards south of him during the night action. Just a couple of points turn would have had him crossing the T again, probably at dawn, which, allowing for night visibility and sunrise silhouetting the enemy fleet, would have allowed him to annihilate the German fleet, especially as he would have been between them and the safety of their home port.
The Fleet Operational Sea Training, (FOST). Training and inspections as well as Flag Officer training hopefully has eradicated all the 'short cuts' when dealing with armaments.
I know the training we received when dealing with aircraft ordnance was very strict and another level completely when dealing with nuclear weapons!!
Hopefully we will never see incidents the like of the Hood and co ever again.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well my early Xmas pressie arrived today, armourment for the Kent. Brilliant 3d printing from Micro Master. OK the older modellers will probably already be aware of them, but anyone returning like me, well have a look at their site. Micromaster.co.nz the below pic is of their pompoms with with kit one. Just annoyed I didn't get the 8 inch guns as well.
Oh yer, ordered on the 7th Dec arrived today.20231213_193638.jpg
Well chuffed.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well bitten the bullet and waterlined her.
Still a lot of cleaning up to do but thought it best before I start painting. Paint have arrived from John but looks like I'll have to mix to get a proper colour. I know, I know, don't go by colour charts Not convinced that I haven't built too much before painting, time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not HMS Kent
What have I ever done to pi** the universe off. Just adding the anchors and chains, decided to have a look and see how far the anchors go into the hull. That's interesting Kent only has 1 ONE starboard anchor, maybe added one later. No Kent only had One starboard anchor when she left the shipyard, she only had One when she went to the scappers. Then why does my model have TWO starboard anchors.
If the window was open would be tempted to see if it flies. Not laughing...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice neat build, Andy
Very well done.
These ship models can sometimes try the patience of a Saint, so good for you for seeing it through - And Not fitting wings and a propeller!

Seascape?

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice neat build, Andy
Very well done.
These ship models can sometimes try the patience of a Saint, so good for you for seeing it through - And Not fitting wings and a propeller!

Seascape?
Would have seen if it could fly without wings.
The seascape will have to wait untill the railings are fitted. Depends how long it takes to get control back of my arm after surgery.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well my early Xmas pressie arrived today, armourment for the Kent. Brilliant 3d printing from Micro Master. OK the older modellers will probably already be aware of them, but anyone returning like me, well have a look at their site. Micromaster.co.nz the below pic is of their pompoms with with kit one. Just annoyed I didn't get the 8 inch guns as well.
Oh yer, ordered on the 7th Dec arrived today.View attachment 497437
Well chuffed.
Andy, was there much hassle cutting them away from there base and then cleaning up? Tempeted to buy some myself

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy, was there much hassle cutting them away from there base and then cleaning up? Tempeted to buy some myself
Hi, the pictures I put up were pretty rubbish, but if you've been on the site, yep they are as good as their pics. OK breaking them away, I only used a pair of needle nosed pliers, as per th sites pics everything is attached from underneath, so take your time and snap or cut the 'stays' away. I found my snips were to big so used the pliers. The only thing I would say (and they say on the site) it is a very hard resin they use so it is fragile.
Would I buy from them again. A very big yes. Oh sorry didn't mention, cleaning up. There wasn't any. The stays are so fine that they break away without leaving anything behind. On the ones that I got.
Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work Andy. Odd about the anchor mistake. Good job on the paint. I hope that the arm gets fixed up and you can do the rails.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice work Andy. Odd about the anchor mistake. Good job on the paint. I hope that the arm gets fixed up and you can do the rails.
Noticed when I started that moulded into hull and deck, HMS Cornwall. Didn't think anything of it at the time as both County Class. Not till I looked closely at pics of Kent did I notice, and sure enough Cornwall has the 3 anchors.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Noticed when I started that moulded into hull and deck, HMS Cornwall. Didn't think anything of it at the time as both County Class. Not till I looked closely at pics of Kent did I notice, and sure enough Cornwall has the 3 anchors.
It's an easy enough mistake to make. I'm sure only the seriously pedantic will notice the lack of anchor!! Doesn't in any way detract from a great build Andy.
As an aside and just an example. I served on two Tribal class frigates. (Type 81 for those that use class numbers). HMS Ashanti, excellent warship but quite basic being of a lower modification state. Although having a VDS on the stern. Due to a serious mechanical failure which rendered it knackered!!! Permanently. We transferred to HMS Tartar, another Tribal class. We needed retraining on the newer equipment, no VDS either.
Even the new Daring Class differ!!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
During my time in the MN, I stood by a new ship being built, and did her maiden voyage - I then served on one of her sister ships, All were built in the same yard, to the same plans, but there were differences - OK, minor ones, but enough to give you moment's pause - electrical boxes at different heights, pipes in slightly different positions. light switches on the wrong side. There were 'empty' mounting beds on one ship - a case of 'fitted for', but 'not with' - the other fitted with a fancy filter system. A visual difference was the spare anchor stowed on deck, on one it was fwd. at the break of the fo'c'sle, on the other it was aft on the maindeck. If this was the same builders, then I'm not surprised that there were differences when several dockyards built ships to nominally the same design...........
Dave