Tweezers & the difference they make!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Having for years been using common 'household' tweezers for modelling (that I probably half inched from my mothers home set!) over the weekend I ordered in a set of 'watchmakers' tweezers (I've got some for actually working on watches - but wont be putting them anywhere near the models!) nothing special (not Bergeons!) just a 'basic' £4.39 inc P&P set.
Well, first use in 'anger', on some Tamiya 1/35 jerry cans, I had done 3 out of the 12 with the old tweezers and spent as much time recovering bits as making them, but tonight thought that I might as well try the new ones out - and they made life far easier, even the spouts didn't 'ping off'! Didn't need the 'boundary walls' for 'bouncing stuff back'. I can see the carpet monster is going to be very hungry from now on! My old tweezers are the ones on top - doubt that they'll get retired just yet, but will certainly be using the new ones for assembly from now on.IMG_20210315_131325236.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Gerry can you put on a link as i need some good twezzers as soon i'll be doin small work on my tiger please an £ 4.39 includein p&p you say well they for me
chris

Reactions: JR

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry can you put on a link as i need some good twezzers as soon i'll be doin small work on my tiger please an £ 4.39 includein p&p you say well they for me
chris
If it's ok with the admin, here it is Chris
Just noticed that they've got another set with 35% off (but no 'slide locking' set in it)

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
If it's ok with the admin, here it is Chris
Just noticed that they've got another set with 35% off (but no 'slide locking' set in it)

HI Gerry cheers for the link an ive ordered some so see how i get on with them an not go pingin lol an not lose any bits
thanks
chris

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Must admit that I was doubtful whether the sheer size would make holding stuff harder, but I found that they seemed to hold 'more gently' than my old ones (something that I'd noticed when working on a watch), and the reverse action & slide locking were great when cleaning up the fiddly bits!

D

Deleted member 5496

The forceps are not sprung so for some things they are easier to use than tweezers. ie more controll.

Laurie

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The forceps are not sprung so for some things they are easier to use than tweezers. ie more controll.

Laurie
I'm having enough trouble with adjusting to using the 'reverse' tweezers, where you have to press to release! :tongue-out3:

D

Deleted member 5496

Stu no problems just your first finger & thumb with forcepts.

A lot of the forceps have serrated noses for good connection.

Like all things as quoted elsewherre recently horses for courses.

Laurie

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Guys,
I`ll Gate crash this party with my thoughts if you don`t mind :astonished: ........
Yes i can see the "Horses for courses" comments are very relevant here:thumb2:,.......
......But i will come back to the argument that, "You simply get what you pay for"......
We ALL like a bargain/snip/find/offer..... nothing wrong with that,and i`m SURE that even the best of you have gone for such an offer over time,I know i have!!
HOWEVER..... we do ALL have come to the sudden realisation that these cheaper items are simply a false economy!;)....
In NO WAY at all am i saying these cheaper items are to be avoided.... I admit that most of the time they do give a "Quick fix" very satisfyingly, it`s just that the detail and longevity that you may expect,you don`t get!
Andy
Having just re-read that,i appear to come across as someone who doesn`t have a care about spending money!:dizzy: Believe me,i`m NOT like that,it`s just that sometimes,you can get trapped in throwing good money after bad!!
Rant over.....

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Guys,
I`ll Gate crash this party with my thoughts if you don`t mind :astonished: ........
Yes i can see the "Horses for courses" comments are very relevant here:thumb2:,.......
......But i will come back to the argument that, "You simply get what you pay for"......
We ALL like a bargain/snip/find/offer..... nothing wrong with that,and i`m SURE that even the best of you have gone for such an offer over time,I know i have!!
HOWEVER..... we do ALL have come to the sudden realisation that these cheaper items are simply a false economy!;)....
In NO WAY at all am i saying these cheaper items are to be avoided.... I admit that most of the time they do give a "Quick fix" very satisfyingly, it`s just that the detail and longevity that you may expect,you don`t get!
Andy
Having just re-read that,i appear to come across as someone who doesn`t have a care about spending money!:dizzy: Believe me,i`m NOT like that,it`s just that sometimes,you can get trapped in throwing good money after bad!!
Rant over.....
Or paying top dollar for something that isn't really that much better, but has a brand name - for example, if I were to have bought the 'top' tweezers (Bergeon - supposedly Swiss made), they would cost something like £450 for a similar set, would they then last 100 times as long, would I be in a position to care? I'm still using my cheap Draper impact driver in the garage - still going strong after something like 50 years, couldn't say if a more expensive one would be as good.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Forgot to post this !
Agree with young
Hi Guys,
Andy
Rant over.....

Forgot to post this ! Having read Andy's post thought I should join in .
I started with some cheapo tweezers , before moving on the better quality. Cheap ones like all tools may look great, but let you down.
You need ones that have the right grip and made from the proper materials. I find stainless steel, with several different points are good.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think that for most tools you really do get what you pay for. There are always exceptions, but in general if something seems too good to be true, it usually is!