Tyres

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
IT depends on the tyre, modern sports car I would use a matt silk black with a dry brush of dust grey on the tread , worn tyre like on a jeep matt black with a light dry brush of dust grey on the wals but not into the trim and a heavy dust grey on the tread , aircraft a very dark grey matt with a heavy dry brush of dust grey on the tread

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
What was the purpose of the straw in the german picture- snow and ice protection or camouflage?
The photograph was taken in the summer of 1940. The aircraft has back armour, an armoured windscreen and cannon armament. The soil is chalky and may well be be France. The trees in the background are in full leaf. Given the place and time of year I can only assume that the straw was being used in an effort to camouflage the aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I saw the white stuff and thought it must be snow. My neighbour used straw for frost protection in his garden hence the assumption.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I saw the white stuff and thought it must be snow. My neighbour used straw for frost protection in his garden hence the assumption.
Quite reasonable! JG 26 was a late adopter of all the fuselage mottling and yellow tactical markings. It was still flying aircraft with the high camouflage demarcation and without yellow noses/rudders at least until the end of August 1940. I've got a nice picture of Lt. Wilhelm Fronhofer's E-4 which crash landed not far from Ashford on 31st August 1940, following a losing encounter with Spitfires, and it looks just as it would have in May! This time it is the British who have partially covered it in straw in an attempt at camouflage. I'd have to check to see when most of it's aircraft started to be altered, but by the winter they certainly were.

View attachment 124261

Cheers

Steve

IMG_1441_zpsad5vblxe.jpg