Useful aircraft instrument selection.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
8226f9b0.jpg

Here is a selection of useful aircraft instruments that I have put together for use by scale modellers,one way to use them is first place the file into a paint programme and scale up or down as required,print the results out onto paper and cut out the required dials,mount these onto a piece of card,then trace the positions of the instruments and make another card fascia punching out the holes for the dials then give this a coat of paint to the required colour,trap a piece of clear film between the lot and glue together,for the rim you can use rubber seals of a suitable size or run a line of thinned PVA glue around using a syringe,small knobs etc can be added from scrap etc.

This is just one of many ways to make instrument panels ( check back in the tutorials for more ideas )

B

bartley

You are a wicked man Barry; just when I was getting concerned about not going overboard with the detail on my Bebe, (it'll only ever be 'stand off'), you give me this lot to try and incorporate!

Steve.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You are a wicked man Barry; just when I was getting concerned about not going overboard with the detail on my Bebe, (it'll only ever be 'stand off'), you give me this lot to try and incorporate!Steve.
*** Just pick these three Steve-1/Altimeter 2/Air Speed indicator 3/Turn & Slip,although these are modern instruments we can imagine it to be a replica ! I will get you some period instruments for use with WW.1 types to go with this lot.

Cut out three instruments and glue onto a varnished piece of wood the shape of the panel,add a few knobs and that should do the job,they flew by the seat of their pants in those days !!

B

Bluewavestudios

I think I still have this sheet somewhere in my shed too ...bought for exactly the same reasons and of course with computers these days...easy to make copies to any size and scale you want.

Cheers Barry...............Mark.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I think I still have this sheet somewhere in my shed too ...bought for exactly the same reasons and of course with computers these days...easy to make copies to any size and scale you want.Cheers Barry...............Mark.
*** Yes Mark it was a fairly common set of instruments,most of the accessory market used the dials to make up sets,Mercury did those plastic rimmed inserts where you just stuck the instrument into the bezel,there was a Japanese set which were diecast metal with a sheet of instruments.

They make the office look good,and with a simple seat folded from card or carved from a block of foam painted with acrylics,a control column and a set of rudder pedals add a lot of realism.