Vac-Forming (At Last !!!)

• Thread starter Bluewavestudios
  • Start date
B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Allan,

Glad to have you back with us and hope you are well.

Nice to see this article has re-appeared just at the right time for you as well. Hope it is of help to you. These are really easy devices to make, as the original instructions will show, the video link I posted above really shows how easy it is.

Regards.......Mark.

A

Allan

Hi Mark.

I made it and it seems to work ok, but I don't have any more plastic sheets to play with. I live in the country and the nearest model shop is in Yarmouth which is a fair way for me and parking is a problem there too.

I've been into all types of modelling in my time but always had great interest in railways. I have live steam Gauge 1 as my main interest, but I also have a 5 inch coal fired live steam ride-behind which gets more difficult for me as I get older.

I worked as a freelancemodeller at one time a long while back now.

You might be interested to know that I have just converted the radio in my Gauge 1 live steam S3/6 locomotive and she now sports a DX6i rig. Brilliant and I'm very pleased with the way that system works.

RIght now though, I am interested to see what I can do with the vacuum former. I'm lucky in that I have a proper vacuum pump from many years ago - I knew it would come in useful one day, .

Thanks for letting me into your group.

See you,

Allan

First Name
James
\ said:
I just wish you could get peg board still!I have been after some for a display case for ages and it is pretty scarce and expensive in this country now.
get a drill lay out 1" intersecting lines presto peg board for a former. 4'x8' sheet well that is alot of holes good luck with shelves.

B

Bluewavestudios

Been reading through this thread tonight and wondering how many people have taken the plunge with one of these devices.

I enjoy flying R/C heli's amongst a lot of other models and am currently working on a couple of nice scale fuselages. It is nice to have all the usual lumps and bumps on them too (radar/antennae/camera housings etc) having looked at the vario site, they cost £20 upwards for a very simple basic lump moulding....now you know why I have a vac former !!

Regards......Mark

M

M.D.S

and here is a nice little video of one of these machines in action - dead easy !!

Regards..........Mark.

S

Sky Raider

Very impressive, not sure about sticking a wooden frame in the oven though, be my lick for the phone to ring lol

Andy

M

msm2

Looks easy enough to do. A little more reading I think is needed. Just need a small one to make a few canopies for a future project. Saying that I have worked on some bigger vacuum presses (40ft x 10ft).

M

M.D.S

\ said:
Looks easy enough to do. A little more reading I think is needed. Just need a small one to make a few canopies for a future project. Saying that I have worked on some bigger vacuum presses (40ft x 10ft).
If you check my original pics at the start of this article - you can fit a divider frame on the top to allow use of smaller pieces of plastic for moulding small parts. If they are really tiny parts, best forget this machine and just plunge mould your part. A lot less time consuming.

Regards.......Mark.