Various Flory sanding tools.

S

Stevekir

I have a flory sanding stick (the wide version), with coarse and medium grit, one on each side. He also sells:

Sanding Sponges, and

Polishing Sponges

== I can guess what these do, but why are they called "sponges" and how do they differ from sticks?

After filling seams etc. with Squadron Green and Mr. Surfacer 500 I sand with the finer side of the sanding stick, then with 400 wet or dry, then 1500 wet or dry.

== Is that enough, or do I need one or either of the sponges?

Thanks

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
they will give a nice smooth finish to paint on. I get mine from the pound shop, those nail buffing sponges are the same thing and cost less. there's a thread on here somewhere about cheap alternative modelling stuff.

Tony.

Here it is - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/quick-tips/7842-unconventional-modelling-materials-list.html

have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use the Flory sticks and sponges including the skinnies. They all work very well with the sponges good for seams along round surfaces as they do not 'square' the plastic.

The sponges even work well eliminating canopy seams. The polishing sticks are great for these once you have eliminated the seam.

T

tecdes

Yes they are really good. Pity that they are only produced in one grade.

Thought I take it we are talking about the blue ones with foam in the middle. Sizes one 12mm wide & the other 5mm wide approx dimensions.

As said John stocks these in the shop. Plus loads of other Flory sanding sticks.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
They have recently upgraded their range Laurie. Phil mentioned it on a news video recently. I find the blue sanding sponge a good 'general grade' sander back up by the polishing sponge after.