Varnish recommendations?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Been reading that you guys use varnish on your kits. My Sea King build would/may benefit from a bit of a shine when complete.
Questions?
1. Which is better, gloss, matt etc?
2. I assume you apply the varnish after the decals are all in place and suitably set in place?
3. Another assumption, they are applied by airbrush OR brush?
4. I would like to add some oiling effect to the airframe, would this be before or after varnish?
Sorry for so many questions but the more I read on here the more questions I end up mulling over in my head.
Doug

Reactions: JR

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm sure you'll get a variety of different answers as some of it is personal preference but for me it would be satin varnish airbrushed after decals.
I'd then do the staining afterwards so you don't only get a different colour from the oil, but a variation in texture & sheen too.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Doug

Sorry don't have time to reply properly now but as starting point in the search bar search for 'varnish' in ' the 'titles only' and you'll find some threads that will get your started.

ATB.

Andrew

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Doug,
As Andy has said you will get multiple answers depending on peoples personal choices. It also depends on the type of build and the finish you require. My personal approach and there will be many others is to base coat the colours, Then a gloss coat I use Klear floor polish or it's modern alternative. Then place decals. then ant weathering steps you wish to carry out e.g. pin wash etc. Then finish with the final clear coat which for most or the armour/wingy builders will be a flat matt coat. Again this will be a matter of choice each of the manufactures have their own but Windsor and Newton Galleria or AK flat coat are my go to products. HTH

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As Paul says, a flat / matt varnish is the norm but the Seaking tend to have a bit of sheen to them usually so satin may be a better choice in this case. If you don't want to be buying multiple products then a matt one should be fine and be there for future projects.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I use Galeria, matt, satin, or gloss, depending on the model and what stage I'm at.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
As Paul says, a flat / matt varnish is the norm but the Seaking tend to have a bit of sheen to them usually so satin may be a better choice in this case. If you don't want to be buying multiple products then a matt one should be fine and be there for future projects.
Thanks Andy, yeah, most Mil rotary and F/W have a glossy finish, of course there are exceptions!! So I'll look out for gloss and read more on when best to apply!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good luck Doug , good advice from the guys,the makes are just preferences.
Always got me at the start knowing what to do in the right order .Still forget !