varnish

hello could somebody help me i am in the last stages of a ju 88 c4 night fighter and its all black when i airbrush matt varnish (on the spinners as a test) the paint goes grey and there is like a coating of what looks like talc powder on the surface i have tried humbrol and revell matt varnish revell gave a bit better result i dont want to spray the entire model until i have sorted the problem

thank you

rob

F

Fenlander

I don't know the reason for this but I have heard of it happening sometimes. I use Vallejo acrylic matt varnish which, touch wood, I have never had problems with.

C

Caledonia

Hi Rob, I always use Humbrol Rattle Cans, their Matt really is Matt. Watch which one you buy, one is for acrylic and one is for Enamel. Hobbycraft shops stock them but they are more expensive. Cheers Derek

Plastic Model Kits - Models For Sale Ltd

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is quite common. The talc like residue is actually the matting agent. Of course it shouldn't show like that. I too have found the Vallejo varnishes to be very good,maybe worth a try. It is very important with any matting system to thoroughly mix it up and then do it again before application.

A lot of luftwaffe aircraft didn't have a really matt finish,more silky. Try and check some photos.

By the way,well done for doing a test on the (easily fixed) spinners.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
well i took the plunge and what a mess the model looked like it had been sat on a shelf for 10 years (very dusty) luckly i found that if i coat it with future/klear then the black came back (a tip for them who make the same mistake) i am going to get some Vallejo

or a humbrol rattle can whatever i find first

thank you

rob

i have found this Vallejo - Liquid Acrylic Varnish Matt - 500ml is it right and can you thin it for airbrush use??

thanks

rob

F

Fenlander

500 ml is a lot of varnish. I have done all my models so far from a very small bottle, 55ml, just a bit bigger than their paint bottles and it isn't a third of the way down yet. I thin with a alcohol based thinners but I have also sprayed it straight from the bottle and it works fine.

Vallejo 55ml Matt Liquid Varnish

i ended up getting some windsor and newton matt varnish seems to have gone on ok with no fogging could anybody tell me there experiences with it??

thanks

rob

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've never used that one Rob,but I have used other products by them. Winsor and Newton make top quality artists supplies and it sounds like the matt varnish has worked as it should.

Cheers

Steve

i know this is an old thread but i used the windsor and newton on a few models and i found when they got dusty and i ran them under a cold tap the varnish began to remove so i have switched to vallejo

thanks

rob

K

Krieg-Hammer

I'm new to this varnish malarky too. The guy in my local model shop sold me gloss varnish. I intend to paint my tank in acrylic paints, then coat it in this stuff. It's called Xtracrylix gloss varnish and with a red label stating 'water based acrylic model paint', do you think this stuff should be ok?

Thanks in advance.

R

Richy C

Hi KH , 1st off if you start a new post you will get a lot more replies my friend trust me , as for your question - the varnish is fine for going over acrylics but gloss for a finnish coat on a tank is bad advice from the guy in your local model shop , I think I can speak for everyone on here and say you need a matt finnish on a tank , dont throw the gloss away its worth using use the gloss on the tank before you apply any decals and weathering and then finnish with a matt clear coat

Richy

K

Krieg-Hammer

Thanks Rich. I did get that impression the guy behind the counter wasn't that interested in helping me out. Just to sell me stuff really. My local model shop had quite a fair bit of stuff but didn't have any Vallejo or MIG products so will have to source these online.

So gloss before weathering, and afterwards finish with a Matt varnish?