Vigilant

I

itsa_ss

that looks like a very nice kit, on the we site, and it looks yours is coming along just as well. and understand about the purse strings. lol

N

new to trains

Ken - stunning model, and a really nice finish, we are slowly continuing with th build of the topaz, we too are building the deck/ planking with black cartridge paper.....slow but steady !!!

as for steam plant then at present i am still unsure, i have had an offer from a chap form the hayes and harlington loco society to build me a steam engine for the boat, he has plans/ castings for an engine very very similar to the plant recommended..... not sure about the boiler though... so may go down that route and have the engine made and that way i can spread the cost as the engine comes along with stage payments !!!!.... currently i am building it so that an electric drive and 'fake' smoke unit can be fitted into the boat and bolted down into the hull, - that way i can run the model....then equally a steam motive power 'plate' can be substitued if so desired in time- a member in our club did this with his boat and so long as the access allows for this swap over and that weights and positions of equipment allow the COG to be maintained then its a duel fuel model !!!

R

rjwood_uk

very nice work Ken!! the detail on the deck is amazing!! even little vanecian blind in the sky lights and little door knobs on the cupboards!!

the decking is also superb!!!

lovely job!

Richard

B

Bunkerbarge

I can see the attraction of the home made model engine but the significant advantage of fitting a manufactured unit is that you can have spares for it.

In the steam coaster I have a Hemmens Richmond engine and I purchased a second hand identical unit on Ebay. The idea being that I can fettle one and get it into tip top condition on the work bench whilst the other is fitted and in operation.

Just something else to think about in the equation.

K

KenP

The Anton steam engines from France look pretty good.

As regard Vigilant: Martin Howes and Baylisss recommend steam plants for all of there models except Vigilant. Their reasoning is that Vigilant is too enclosed to take a steam plant without resulting in a lot of oily fumes contaminating the models details and brightwork.

They used to supply customised steam plants for their other models, all from Cheddar. So now they don't offer this option since Cheddar went into liquidation.

N

new to trains

Realistically I Can Imagine The Vessel Being Used As Frequently Under Electric Power As Under Steam Power, Some Shows I Go To Wont Allow Steam Models Where Spectators Get Very Close, Other Shows Are Fine So Long As Boiler Certs Are Shown And Other Locations Wont Allow Steam Models Due To Risk Of Polluting The Water ( Especially If Using A School Swimming Pool Or Similar- So Maybe A Home Made Engine Is Not Such An Issue As I Imagine It Will Not Get Huge Hard Heavy Use, However The Bloke Who Offered To Build It Has A 7 1/4 Inch Ride On Steam Loco That Gets Twice Weekly Heavy And Hard Use..... I Think His Engine Will Be Up To The Job If I Go Down That Route......

K

KenP

More progress and photos.

The stern grating is removeable to allow access to the rudder head.

Both Companion Ways are also removeable. Under the forward one, the larger, I've cut three holes to take switches for the lights, 12v power, and receiver Battery,

The bench is called the Commisioneers Bench and looking aft behind the Saloon.

Next, is to see if I can win anything at the Seniors Captains Day at golf.

Don't feel optomistic as my golf prowess is not that good!!!!!

View attachment 14584

View attachment 14585

View attachment 14586

View attachment 14587

106-0622_IMG.JPG

106-0623_IMG.JPG

106-0624_IMG.JPG

106-0625_IMG.JPG

B

Bunkerbarge

So how did it go with the warped saloon sides Ken?

The rest of the model is absolutely beautiful so I hope you can sort out the damaged areas OK.

K

KenP

I brought the model indoors, from the back of the garage. let it acclimatise to the drier, warmer air, and the warping is starting to pull back into shape.

It occured on both sides of the saloon, where the sliding doors are. The port side is almost back into shape and the starbord side is looking a lot better.

B

Bunkerbarge

Well that is certainly a relief. I just hope you are able to persuade the relevent authorities how important it is going to be to keep this one indoors!!! :smiling3:

B

Bluewavestudios

Have just read the whole thread through from the Beginning, I can only agree with the other comments on here,

Ken, you have done that model proud, a real pleasure to look at and I would certainly be proud of her. The attention to detail and that decking is superb.

I am sure she will look even better on the water when the better weather comes. You will certainly have to post some pics up of her in action.

Regards......Mark.

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely beautiful Ken. I have never seen one of these on the water so I am looking forward to her trials.