Vintage Airfix HO/OO AEC Matador & 5.5" Gun

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
This kit was in a "build or bin" batch at a club meet - reminded me of one I built back in the mid 1970's for wargaming - this one was a 1989 issue.

When I started it I realised that there was a lot of flash to deal with and the tilt was warped, but the biggest issue was that the left hand cab side was missing.

Fortunately in this scale it wasn't difficult to cut a couple of pieces of plastic card to replace the missing parts and I decided it would look better with an open load bed.

As a wargaming piece it is a fine representation of the Matador and is a great basis for some of the many civilian post war conversions, however it isn't totally
accurate when looked at in detail.

The gun (or is it technically a gun/howitzer ?) is massively simplified and looking at contemporary images the trails are oversized and the wheels are too small,

IMGP3856 (Large).JPGIMGP3857 (Large).JPGIMGP3860 (Large).JPGIMGP3861 (Large).JPGIMGP3862 (Large).JPGIMGP3863 (Large).JPGIMGP3864 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• IMGP3859 (Large).JPG
    IMGP3859 (Large).JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
An excellent job on the back to make a GS version.
There was a 'Build Airfix Military Vehicles' bbookazine out a while back, and the amount of work needed to accurize the 5.5 you might as well scratchbuild entirely

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Rescued, and a nice job of the build overcoming the problems on the way...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very well done done!!

ATB

Andrew