water dios

First Name
James
hello every one its been a while since ive posted in here so i thought i would start with a question. so ive finished the bismarck ive been working on this past winter, and not liking the stand they give you in the kit. i was wondering about putting it in a water scene and was wondering the best way to do some choppy north atlantic seas. with that right deep dark hughe and white water breaking at her bow. ive seen some gell looking stuff and that pond water stuff from woodland clay on wood high denstiy foam but no real here is the look and here is what you need.

Thanks in advance

James

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello James, I recently finished a diorama for my Bismark. I too wanted to do a N. Atlantic scene but i know my limitations!!

So I opted for a quiet Norwegian Backwater ( sorry, I can't spell the correct word).I can't help with the open sea bit, unless you consider Plaster of Paris, but if you get a piece of 1/4" plywood, mark around the ship's hull, cut the ply and lower her in. You will save a lot of time and material and you don't have to alter the ship in any way....I hope this suggestion is of some use to you.

All the best for 2010 from the U.K.

Ronl

First Name
James
its funny your dio inspired me to put mine in the water! i just read your thread today and thought bingo that is the ticket, water not a stand. i am still concidering one like yours using the clear woodland scenics water and air brushing in the muddied waters but i dont want to be a copie cat either still looking for that open sea effect. happy new year to you as well.

thank you,

James

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad it inspired you James, just for a bit more help if you do go the placid water route. I just painted the plywood in an inky blue/ black water based paint mixture, then a slightly lighter colour blue, veined in to simulate a bit of current. Then 2/3 coats of household gloss varnish....Worked a treat.

I wish you the best of luck if you take Bismark out into the North Atlantic.....Look out for Fleet Air Arm Swordfishes, they might become a pest!!!!

Best wishes to all across the 'Pond'

Ron

First Name
James
anybody tried acrylic gel?? still looking arround for that "deep look", if the acrylic gell is good for this ive read you paint your base in the huge you want, then gell on that, then dry brush white then clear. do you think adding a drop of food colouring in the gell would mix? to add to the depth illusion? any thoughts?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Ron,according to "The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" a Norwegian backwater is a fjord isn't it? Slartibartfast's speciality!

Arthur Dent: The Earth!

Slartibartfast: Well, the Earth Mark II, in fact. We're making a copy from our original blueprints.

Arthur Dent: Are you telling me you originally made the Earth?

Slartibartfast: Oh, yes. Did you ever go to a place - I think it was called Norway?

Arthur Dent: No. No, I didn't.

Slartibartfast: Pity. That was one of mine. Won an award, you know. Lovely crinkly edges.

I'll get me coat

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Ron,according to "The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" a Norwegian backwater is a fjord isn't it? Slartibartfast's speciality!Arthur Dent: The Earth!

Slartibartfast: Well, the Earth Mark II, in fact. We're making a copy from our original blueprints.

Arthur Dent: Are you telling me you originally made the Earth?

Slartibartfast: Oh, yes. Did you ever go to a place - I think it was called Norway?

Arthur Dent: No. No, I didn't.

Slartibartfast: Pity. That was one of mine. Won an award, you know. Lovely crinkly edges.

I'll get me coat

Steve
'cors I new it was a Feeord, just cud'nt spel it proper!!Sorry jimpman, bendin' the fred a bit!

First Name
James
thats ok with me Hitchhiker's Guide is one of my fave's thums up!