Water effects, the flooded fields of normandy, and casting resin

709thsoldat

Howdy friends,

I am working on a new diorama, this time it will be called "The Flooded Fields of Normandy".

As anybody who studies history, or has seen 'Band Of Brothers' will know, in preparation of the Normandy invasion, the Germans actually flooded the fields of Normandy to create a huge marsh land that would be difficult for the invaders to negotiate. This, as we know, backfired and the Germans ended up losing.

I found some clear casting resin and I was wondering if I would be able to use such a product to make puddles and such with it.

Please advise,

Thanks,

-Chris.

N

noble

Hi chris yes you can use casting resign but if it is the mix yourself kind then you need to test it first, i usually prefer the pre mixed water effects stuff but that can be expensive. i find that it gives good depth to water.

scott

D

dubster72

Chris, as Scott said the resin will work. Having said that, I find it difficult to get right & prefer a mixture of 2 methods.

For deep water I use Liquitex, it's a gel to make acrylic paint workable like oils. It holds texture & is very easy to work with.

For shallower water like puddles, or to add extra depth to the Liquitex, I tint Future / Klear with acrylic paint. This gives a nice glossy wet look & the tint adds depth really well. You can add successive layers once each application is dry.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
have a look a Vallejo's water effects. The clear water one, the one in the bottle is rather good for that sort of thing.

Water & Stones

It's very thin and runny, which is good as it gets into all the small dents and bumps. Just seal the base very well and make sure the base you are applying it to is 200% dry as any dampness WILL make the resin lift off and also risk it bubbling!

Its a bit more expensive than some ways of doing water, but it was made for the job. You can also tint it with their paints to colour it up.

Ian M