Weathering effects on models.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There are quite a few ways to weather a model,provided that it is not overdone then it looks effective but go easy on the mud and dirt !

Quite a few use the dregs from a dirty thinners bottle,judicious use with a cotton wool bud swirled around in a few places can add extra realism but there is another safer way which almost anyone can master.

This involves the use of ordinary artists pastels,a few sticks of the soft variety puchased from your local art shop should include-Burnt Umber,Yellow Ocre,a medium grey and some earhty red,a stick of charcoal also mixes well with these colours to blend and apply them,just take a piece of paper and rub a few colours onto this palette,take a bud or even your small finger and apply around exhausts,wheel well streaks etc,be sure to study a photograph of your particular subject to see how the stains develop you will be surprised how they develope a pattern.

The system works well on aircraft,tanks,railway engines,vehicles of all descriptions.

Once satisfied that it is as you want it apply a touch of Johnsons Klear to seal the pastel dust.

Remember you only need a tiny amount of the dust to get the right effects.

T

Tinderstick

"Johnsons Klear" -> I assume that is some kind of glue?

Nice tip, btw.

B

Bunkerbarge

Johnsons Kleer is actually a floor polish but is in reality a clear gloss acrylic varnish. Very usefull for a number of modelling applications such as finishing windows and canopies and sealing transfers.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Good with mud

I'm working on a Centurion 5/2 tank that is going to be very muddy (it's British not IDF, thats why it's muddy lol), but i would like to know how can i make the mud look wet?

Thanks for any help

B

Bunkerbarge

There are a few possibilities but all entail leaving it with a high gloss finish which will look 'wet'.

You can try gloss enamel clear or varnish, gloss yacht varnish, gloss acrylic clear or, yet again Johnsons Kleer! They will all leave your mud looking wet when dried. You can also buy solid water from such places as dolls house craft suppliers. You heat up the solid which liquifies, pour it over the mud and allow it to pool on your base board and when set it will look like a wet mud and the vehicle is sat in a puddle.

Put 'diorama' into the search box and have a look through for some ideas. Here's one of my favourites:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes/3424-butchered-bird-46-a.html

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Nice one

Thanks Bunkerbarge, i have some old models so i'll try them out first, so not to ruin a good tank.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
A Big Thank You

I would like to say thank you for your help, i used a muddy brown paint and baby powder mixed with yacht varnish, got it to the right consistency (like mud, just felt like a big kid).

It looks just right to me.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
I would like to say thank you for your help, i used a muddy brown paint and baby powder mixed with yacht varnish, got it to the right consistency (like mud, just felt like a big kid).It looks just right to me.
As mud goes, that looks perfect. I want to make some - I've no use for it, I just want to make it !! Nice one.

T

treeboa

what a cracking tip for mud, i would never have thought about that

S

Siara

Theres the new product from the MIG stable called- Wet Effects.

Just mix it with your choice of pigments, and its done.

Mig Productions