Westland Pteradactyle vii

• Thread starter AirshipsfNflyingboats
  • Start date
A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

I wanted to see what Penrose looked like........even if I couldnt find out who the Purple Catapillar was.............I saved a pic enlarged it a tad so I could see the mans face......that will do me.

He bought the microlight because he never got to fly the Pteradactyl again before it was packed of to the science meuseum having had its engine cease. Its still there........I'll find the link.

http://www.britishaircraft.co.uk/aircraftpage.php?ID=563

http://www.whl.co.uk/history_pterodactyl_4.cfm ##########################

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Its not a microlight ANFB but a small biplane called the Currie Wot,he wrote a book around this little aeroplane called 'Airymouse' you must read it because it gives a first class insight into his love of flying in small machines,I would dearly love to have met this man personally,but I think that I have seen him demonstrating some of Westlands products at old airshows.

A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

Hi Wonwing your talking about the plane in the postcard.....

I was refering to this in the previous text.....but I had wonderd WOT it was?????:lame: ..............................:respect4:

QUOTE :D Penrose acquired a tailless microlight aircraft with a seat in the open, a tricycle undercarriage, a Henri-Farman-style horizontal elevator in front, a rear-mounted 17hp engine driving a pusher propeller, and a high-mounted swept wing with vertical fins at the wingtips. He named it the Pterodactyl Ascender,

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ah,that must have been the Pterodactyl Fledgling design that he re-named,yes that was an American imported microlight,sorry about the confusion,now we both know about these two machines.

D

duncan

Wot ? resurfaced with the Wot 4 models. What is a wot, just a pun as in "what for" ? Currie Wot an animal from India perhaps ? The "Ass-ender" named after pilot Bass Akwards ?

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You know what they say Duncan 'When is a Wot not a Wot ? well when it is a Wet Wot ( on floats ) Twin Wot ( twin engined conversion ) Hot Wot ( max power,ie silly sized engine stuck up front ) Pseudo Wot ( many scale lookalikes made into Kittyhawks,even Hurricnes,or even that Biplane Wot that someone made up and flew so well ! the scope is endless.

D

duncan

Hey you forgot the Wot2 (half-size), the Wot6( one and a half times) and the twice size one that should have been a Wot8 but I think they called it a Mega Wot. Great design. Plenty of Wet Wots at splash-ins including a Wot 4 with a 120 four stroke in (on) it. Ballistic. Still dont know origin of the name, is it initials or....nearly said wot there.

Last edited:
A

AirshipsfNflyingboats

:emo2: WOT have I done .............:shutup3: please ........ :closed: .....and don't you dare say WOT topic?