What if Fariey

T

tag

Hi all

Its a long time since I posted so please don't hold it against me :dog:

I'm planing a new build and was thinking of a P.B.R. from the Vietnam era but boat drawing are to expensive at around $80 plus p&p so I though of a What iff based on a Fairey Possibly from the Korean or better still Malaysian or Burma troubles my question is do you think us Brits would be so far thinking as to use water jets if so do these have to have a flat hull to section mount them or would ordinary props in tunnels would be more in keeping

for the armament I was thinking on twin Boyes Anti Tank with either belt or large mag fed in front gun tub or even a basic turret

Ideas on what colours should it be finished in

and what arm of the services do you think could have operated them ie S.A.S / S.B.S. Navy or regular Army

Thank for reading

S

Spyderman_uk

An interesting thought Tony!

I would think the use of jet propulsion would depend on whether the vessel is for river or open water use. Jets tend to be used on high speed boats which by their nature may not be suitable in tight rivers or as a gun platform.

I don't know for sure, but would imagine that for river use jets would be prone to weed blockage.

If going jet powered then at least a shallow V hull would be necessary for stability.

Re colours then I would imagine that a similar approach to the US forces would be mimicked.

Would definitely be a Navy/Marine operated venture.

T

tag

Cheers spidey

Thanks for replying

I was thinking along the line of a P.B.R. or Swift boat so it would be inland / inshore waters am building at least 1/24th or bigger so it can R/Cd

Do you think that for the time period Jets would be to newfangled for us Brits

As for colour I believe U.S. colours where inland and 5 mile from shore they would be green and offshore they would be blue so I imagine crew would be a mix of uniform colours

Back to the jets I have never fitted any but will I have to change the stern section of the hull and modify the 'V' section to fit them or will they work on a 'V' section as I am guessing they might touch inside the boat

G

GTI-MARK

hi there

as mentioned above the water jets will not have been used on on inland river craft due to the speed and also as u said the colour would have been gree. a good model to possibly look at is a pt boat designed and built by glynn guest (plan available from www.myhobbystore.com at only £5.95) these craft were vietnam era river craft withexhaist mufflers on the transom to muffle out the engine noise on release exhaust gasses under the surface of the water, this is a good example as this method was used on many other craft.

as for the armament its up to you , vietnam era boats were down to the crews to choose there own armerment which usually all depending on where the boat was staitoned so there wasnt really 2 boats the same.

as for the water jet idea if you wish they was a very good article in model boats magazine a few months back where 2 graupner untis where used in jet boat and this article tell all you will probably need to know.

hope my waffling helps

regards

mark

T

tag

Hello again

jet powered then at least a shallow V hull
After doing a little more checking up on this yep your correct I was thinking of putting a step in the hull to transition from a 'V' to a flatter shape this turned out to be not a good idea as it could reduce planing and also possibly cause a water supply to the jets

So looking at the drawings it would be easy to change the hull profile and do a shallower 'V' and if it skids out I can add spray rails, bigger chines and a short keel on the fore section

ordinary props in tunnels
Another non starter as the tunnels would again cause planing problems the biggest being it probably wouldn't plane

Vietnam era PT boats
thanks for the comments Mark

I wanted to do an inland boat the PT boats that where used in Vietnam conflict where ex Korean war boats and not generally successful when used they where stripped of armament and use for fast insertion/extractions there major problems where the length,draught and propellers for use in narrow weed infested waters hence P.B.R.s and Swift boats.

So back to the British Fariey option

1 its British

2 Its a what if so fits in with what I like to build (along with SciFi)

Cheers lads and any ideas greatly welcomed