What's gone wrong now?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Gotta question about MRP. After all the glowing recommendations, I had a look around on t'internet and found a stockist (not as expensive as I thought as they're larger bottles). I figured I might as well look for a red (any bright red gloss will do for what I want) as that's something I may need if I can't get my Tamiya to work.

Found lots of different reds, but none of them mention whether they're matt, satin, gloss or some other finish. Is there any way to tell or do you have to use a varnish to get the finish you want? Due to the seemingly endless list of problems I have, painting is my least favourite part of modelling. There's no way I want to increase the amount I have to do by having to varnish everything to get the finish I want.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
All of the MRP colours I've used are a satin / semi gloss, so yes, you would need a varnish if you want a matt or a full gloss finish.

They dry super quick though so pretty much by the time you've rinsed the colour out of your airbrush, you can go straight on with the varnish if you wish.

An extra step, but not a particularly lengthy one.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Funnily enough I took the plug out on my holding tank before I started yesterday's priming session got maybe half a egg cup of the brown on a piece of kitchen towel , as the boys said drain it of air after each session sadly now the last cat has popped this mortal coil I forget to do it , mines got a key ring thing you pull that opens a valve and lets all the air out in one noisy hiss making the cat jump ,the dog doesn't give the same incentive he just looks at me good job he can't speak. I also keep a secondary moisture trap directly under the air brush think its called a silver bullet(sparmax?) Neat little thing also makes the airbrush comfortable to hold.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just a thought. I've tried a couple of AK 3rd Gen paints which seem to work OK. Do they do gloss colours? I only ask 'cos I'm not keen on the idea of having to use extra varnish coats to get the finish I want.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
No, not really.

As an alternative to MRP, Mr Color and S M S both do some gloss colours in their ranges and are available in the shop, but to be honest the Tamiya ones you have should be just fine when thinned with a good lacquer thinner, you just seem to have got a rogue one.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Done some hexperimenting as suggested by you good folks.

I bought a new jar of Tamiya gloss red and mixed up two batches in cheapo shot glasses. One thinned with MLT and the other with X-20A - both 50/50 as near as I could measure.

I sprayed each mix using both my Infinity CR+ and my Ultra - both with 0.4mm needles and set at 15psi from about 4-5 inches.

All four tests came out nice and smooth and glossy as they should be, although it seems the coverage from my Ultra was marginally better.

I have to conclude that the issues I had must be down to the old paint I used. I don't know if it was just old paint or if it had been mixed/contaminated with the wrong thinners or something.

Now all I got to do is sort out my compressor - starting with regular emptying.

The jury is still out on swapping to MRP, but big thanks to everyone for your help and advice. Onwards and upwards! :smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Done some hexperimenting as suggested by you good folks.

I bought a new jar of Tamiya gloss red and mixed up two batches in cheapo shot glasses. One thinned with MLT and the other with X-20A - both 50/50 as near as I could measure.

I sprayed each mix using both my Infinity CR+ and my Ultra - both with 0.4mm needles and set at 15psi from about 4-5 inches.

All four tests came out nice and smooth and glossy as they should be, although it seems the coverage from my Ultra was marginally better.

I have to conclude that the issues I had must be down to the old paint I used. I don't know if it was just old paint or if it had been mixed/contaminated with the wrong thinners or something.

Now all I got to do is sort out my compressor - starting with regular emptying.

The jury is still out on swapping to MRP, but big thanks to everyone for your help and advice. Onwards and upwards! :smiling:
Great news Dave. I did a mini in Tamiya Red a few years ago and it came out really well. I found that if I left the paint a week or two to really harden off it could be polished with Tamiya’s finishing compound, coming out with an excellent surface finish that looked real.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A rocky road but you must be pleased to find out it wasn't you or your tools at fault.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Been having a thunk about all that rust in my compressor tank. Haven't I seen something about compressor tanks with rustproof chrome interiors or am I dreaming?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Been having a thunk about all that rust in my compressor tank. Haven't I seen something about compressor tanks with rustproof chrome interiors or am I dreaming?
Possibly dreaming Dave. Never seen chrome on a car or motorbike that didn’t rust if you left it unpolished. I’d assume a tank interior would be the same. For rust free I’d go for a stainless steel tank if you could get one, and even that would probably exhibit rouge after a time. I know the stainless kit we used In pharmaceutical production suffered from that all the time.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Possibly dreaming Dave. Never seen chrome on a car or motorbike that didn’t rust if you left it unpolished. I’d assume a tank interior would be the same. For rust free I’d go for a stainless steel tank if you could get one, and even that would probably exhibit rouge after a time. I know the stainless kit we used In pharmaceutical production suffered from that all the time.

So stick to what I've got (with regular emptying) 'til it falls apart then get another?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
So stick to what I've got (with regular emptying) 'til it falls apart then get another?
Sounds good, but keep an eye on the tank for bulges when it’s pressurised. Once it bulges under pressure I’d change it. Splitting under pressure will make you jump if nothing else…..

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'd have thought it's more likely to become porous due to rusting, so it won't pressurise.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve seen stainless steel vessels both bulge and become porous as they fail Pete. Bulging is far more common in stainless pressure kit, but you might be right about mild steel becoming porous first. Visible bulging is what the insurance inspectors used to look for before passing the tank for another years use.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'd have thought it's more likely to become porous due to rusting, so it won't pressurise.
Pete
That should be the nice thing about Chrome, it isn't porous!! (Good chrome that is). In aviation they use a posh chroming technique called fescallising, (spelt phonetically because I don't know it's correct spelling!! Fescallising is used in undercarriage/shock absorbers!! (The shiny bit!!) ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This has taken a bit of a surreal turn. I can find loads of references to Fescalised metal……but they are all based on the same text and none of them say what it is, or what is actually done to make it……I assume it’s some sort of hardening and polishing process, but is known under another name. As an aside, we used to use Electropolishing after which stainless steel looks exactly like chrome plating. Chrome plating shouldn’t in itself be porous, but it’s only a few microns thick so doesn’t cover that well.