Where am I going wrong with topcoat??

C

Credo

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and recently started working in more detail with models, although I have a lot of experience with airbrushes.

I'm having a heck of a time with pin-washes and topcoats for some reason, and I'm hoping someone could shed some light on my situation...

I'm working on a model, I'm using Mr. Color Lacquer paints as they spray beautifully and finish very nicely. I've given the model a lacquer top coat as well. I'm using Testors Glosscote thinned 3:2. I get a beautiful glass finish, but the problem starts when I apply my pin washes - and here's where I need help...

I'm using Tamiya acrylic thinned out using the X-20A thinner, however, when I start the pin wash, it's fogging the topcoat when I clean the excess. I've moved on to the citadel/forgeworld line of washes as they're pretty innocuous being water based, but don't leave as nice of a wash...

If anyone can provide some insight on what I should do here, any help would be greatly appreciated!

First Name
Richard
Hi Credo and welcome to the best forum around.

Question how long is the drying period between the pin wash and your gloss coat?

Cheers Richi

C

Credo

Richi,

Thanks for the reply.

I applied the gloss coat and let it cure for approx. 48 hours before I attempted the pin wash. I'm in a very dry, non-humid climate, I would hope 48 hours is enough.

First Name
Richard
You could make a test piece with several drying stages say 24, 48, 72, 96 hours, if you know what i mean and then try a stripe of your wash over it to see what happens. Maybe it needs more drying time or the don't work together at all.

hope this helps a little

Cheers Richi