Where to buy a decent laquer

First Name
ian
Can anyone tell me where to buy a decent laquer to finish of my tamiya cb750f 1/6th scale kit , I’ve painted the tank , side panels , rear seat unit & front mudguard in silver and just need a good laquer to make them shine , I have a bottle that says gloss but it does nothing to the finish of the panels I am painting so any suggestions would be most welcome preferably to use in a airbrush

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I believe that you mean a gloss varnish, not lacquer.

Lacquer is a carrier for paint and varnish (the best type for airbrushing)

If I were you I would look at John’s shop. He is the forum owner.

Here is a link to the varnishes in his shop.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Ian, if you don't mind using a rattle can, I've had very good results from Simoniz Clear acrylic, from Euro Car Parts.
Pete

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Terminology may cause confusion here.

The modelling community uses the term lacquer to describe solvent based products. It's an American based term that I hate to use, but it saves confusion to fit in.

As vehicle painters we mean the clear stuff that goes on top. As Barry says, modellers call that varnish, gloss in this case.

As for your question it all depends whether you want a water based or solvent (lacquer) based one. I've never found any of the former to give a really great gloss level but the solvent based Mr Color GX100 is a favourite of mine.

Reactions: JR
First Name
ian
hi Barry ive already got some gloss especially for airbrushes but I applied a couple of coats and its made no difference to the Finish which made me write this post as I thought I had maybe purchased the wrong stuff , ive painted panels on cars before and when the base coat had been applied I then gave it a couple of coat of lacquer which gave it a brilliant shine, I also work for a motorcycle company called ART automotives and if we did any carbon panels in prepreg carbon basically carbon that's been in a autoclave oven to cure and they came out really dull so we use to use lacquer on the carbon panels again giving them a brilliant shiny finish so as my stuff I finished off with a gloss varnish didn't come out very well is why I was asking about lacquer in case that was more the direction I needed to go to get the finish I required, but I will wet & dry it down to a smooth finish and have another try , ive got I think the valleo gloss varnish for I am sure use in a airbrush, I also have a decent airbrush its a harder & Steenbeck evolution ultra airbrush & a compressor with a decent size tank on it to maintain a good consistent pressure so I am not sure why the first time I did it that it didn't come out shiny at all so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated. many thanks Ian
I believe that you mean a gloss varnish, not lacquer.

Lacquer is a carrier for paint and varnish (the best type for airbrushing)

If I were you I would look at John’s shop. He is the forum owner.

Here is a link to the varnishes in his shop.

First Name
ian
Ian, if you don't mind using a rattle can, I've had very good results from Simoniz Clear acrylic, from Euro Car Parts.
Pete
hi bud ive shelled out for a decent set up with a airbrush just look at my reply to Barry the info on my set up is in that reply so I would like to be able to do it with that really . but thanks for the info if I cannot achieve the finish I want with my airbrush set up I will give that a try

First Name
ian
Terminology may cause confusion here.

The modelling community uses the term lacquer to describe solvent based products. It's an American based term that I hate to use, but it saves confusion to fit in.

As vehicle painters we mean the clear stuff that goes on top. As Barry says, modellers call that varnish, gloss in this case.

As for your question it all depends whether you want a water based or solvent (lacquer) based one. I've never found any of the former to give a really great gloss level but the solvent based Mr Color GX100 is a favourite of mine.
hi Andy I think I am using the solvent based gloss varnish so I am not sure why I aint getting a really shiny finish but I am not 100 percent sure on what type of gloss varnish I have so I will have a look today when ive dug it out from where its currently being stored but thanks for the info though

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Last edited:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I like the Mr Hobby GX 112 myself, but might give Tim's suggestion a go, I didn't realise they do a 1K version.

However, in my experience it's not jsut a case of spray and forget, to get a good "wet look" gloss you need to put in some work. Several layers need to be applied, stareting with a tack coat and ending with a wet coat. When dry it needs flatting back (Micromesh or Tamiya 3000 grit sanding sponge), then gone over with polishing compound followed by polish or wax. I use the UMP polishing system which comnes with eveything you will need in terms of compound/polish. You should end up with a finish you can see your face in.