Which Halford's Primer?

S

Stevekir

In my new-found strategy of avoiding airbrushing when I can use a spray can (due to airbrush blocking problems that I have had), many people use Halfords' primers, but which one? They seem to have 5 suitable ones:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/primer

M

Mark P

This is the one you want Steve http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-spray I use this or the grey ;)

D

dubster72

If you have a Poundshop nearby Steve, save yourself a lot of money & get this

2015-10-06-15-45-55-1562940267.jpe

Same quantity (300ml) & a great finish. Even when I thought I'd been too heavy-handed, it dries tight & smooth.

It's touch dry in about 20 minutes & can be sanded within an hour

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Patrick's spot on......Pound shop primer every time - just as good as Halfords, and the shop name says it all!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use the Halfords Plastic Primer as in the first reply. It works for me! I've never tried the other one so can't comment on that.

Cheers

Steve

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I use the Halfords Plastic Primer as in the first reply. It works for me! I've never tried the other one so can't comment on that.
Cheers

Steve
Do you decant this and spray through a ab Steve? If so what cleaner do you use?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Do you decant this and spray through a ab Steve? If so what cleaner do you use?
No, I mist it on from the can as best I can. You do need to be careful not to overdo it. I have attempted to decant sprays for airbrushing with mixed success....well, disasters sometimes. I don't do it anymore.

Cheers

Steve

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
i use the stuff that Boyes sell......big can for about 4 quid, lasts for ages, comes in white and grey.....lot cheaper than halfords

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Personally steve i just use the standard grey primer from halfords in the big can for about £8 . Ive used the stuff from Boyes and its fine but i think the halfords gives a smoother finish . The only time i tried any sprays from poundland it it was a white gloss and it gave me a banging headache so i cant comment pn their primer , tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Personally steve i just use the standard grey primer from halfords in the big can for about £8 . Ive used the stuff from Boyes and its fine but i think the halfords gives a smoother finish . The only time i tried any sprays from poundland it it was a white gloss and it gave me a banging headache so i cant comment pn their primer , tony
Serves you right for spraying it up your nose!

R

Richy C

I`m the same as Tony , Halfords normal grey and white primer works for me , I use acrylics and solvent paints over it and never had a problem.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
View attachment 144652

Same quantity (300ml) & a great finish. Even when I thought I'd been too heavy-handed, it dries tight & smooth.

Absolutely spot on....... That's what I use.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Cheers

Steve
I'm considering the Poundland primer, but the primer you refer to (in the first reply) has multi-coloured tops and grey is not included. However:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-primer-grey-500ml

shows the same cans but the title refers to grey primer and lower down it says:

"Paint can shown is for illustrative purposes only. Colours may vary from shown." I will have to sort this out in a Halfords shop.

In the meantime, is the primer you prefer grey, or lurid colours?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use the plastic primer in grey, which is usually available, and sometimes white. The white I use on smaller scale models.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bari

This is the one I use, you can get it in white or grey. Its 500ml and costs £4.95 in Boyes or around £5.00 - £5.75 in independant motor spares shops. I have had no problems with it.

IMG_0001.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I'm considering the Poundland primer, but the primer you refer to (in the first reply) has multi-coloured tops and grey is not included. However:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-primer-grey-500ml

shows the same cans but the title refers to grey primer and lower down it says:

"Paint can shown is for illustrative purposes only. Colours may vary from shown." I will have to sort this out in a Halfords shop.

In the meantime, is the primer you prefer grey, or lurid colours?
Yep thats the one I use steve , the bog standard grey primer in the big can , as for colours i mainly use grey , but white and black also come in handy depending on the top colour . cheers tony

S

snapper41

Ive used the Poundland stuff, but I prefer Halfords. The Poundland paint is a bit too dark IMHO, and it doesn't dry as smooth as Halfords. Also, get yourself one of these:

http://www.offerscheck.co.uk/baufix-professional-spray-pistol/lidl/2014/kw-33/124387

Screw it to the top of any rattle can, and it gives you flow control via trigger pressure. Still not as good as airbrushing, but far better than the torrent you usually get with a finger press! You can get them on eBay for about £5

First Name
Robert
\ said:
View attachment 144652

I took dubsters advice got myself 3 cans ( last of in store and I sprayed my Tamiya Centaur sprues with it and it looks even and dried well. Did the spraying outside as the fumes are a bit whiffy. Not one to be a penny pincher but the halfords is a bit rich for the same result

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Ive used the Poundland stuff, but I prefer Halfords. The Poundland paint is a bit too dark IMHO, and it doesn't dry as smooth as Halfords. Also, get yourself one of these:
http://www.offerscheck.co.uk/baufix-professional-spray-pistol/lidl/2014/kw-33/124387

Screw it to the top of any rattle can, and it gives you flow control via trigger pressure. Still not as good as airbrushing, but far better than the torrent you usually get with a finger press! You can get them on eBay for about £5
This looks like a good investment Andy so next time I pass lidl I'll pop in see if I can pick one up ( primers a bugger when you overspray

Robert

J

John Rixon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MI8996?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

This is my weapon of choice, nearly half the price of the Halfords and it gives an amazingly smooth and hard surface, every time.