which is the best acrylic paint?

P

pliny123

I traditionally use Tamiya paint as I've been led to believe that it is better quality than Revell's own acrylic range. However, a local shop is selling Valejo which I've never heard of. Is this better than Tamiya? Are my beliefs about Tamiya being better than Revell incorrect?

Thanks

D

dubster72

Vallejo wins hands down! In my mind there's no contest & I'll be switching to Vallejo as soon as my stocks of tamiya paint are used up, though that may take a while! The Vallejo stuff goes on better both by brush & airbrush (but I'd never hand brush Tamiya paint anyway) and doesn't give the slightly 'gritty' finish that Tamiya sometimes does. I can't comment on Revells acrylic paint as I've never used it but I didn't think much of their enamels. Patrick

N

NikToo

Vallejo's brilliant, no doubt about it. Both their Model Air and Model Color (for airbrushing and brush painting, respectively). Game Color is a bit more akin to the Games Workshop stuff. I'd throw LifeColor in the mix as well; they both brush and spray on very well and have some nice sets as well as an extensive range. They both handle slightly differently though in terms of mixing.

Vallejo is maybe not a massive name in military modelling, but in figure modelling it's considered pretty much the top brand.

In the end though, I think it's what you're happy with. I've never used Tamiya, but enough people do.

C

Caledonia

Hi, Like you I have tended towards Tamiya, but I am now sold on Lifecolor, it airbrushes and hand brushes well, and you can buy it to specific FS numbers. See the link below. Its £2.04 for 22mL so more economical than Tamiya. The suppliers usually deliver mine next day, and they send you an e-mail when despatched. Derek

https://airbrushes.com/lifecolor.php?osCsid=37515f83a93b303c827bad2e748c386e#nationality

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can vouch for the Vallejo paints. I see a lot of positive things said about Lifecolor, I may take a look at that. I'm an Xtracrylix user mainly but I can't pretend that they are the easiest to spray.Once you've got them working they give an excellent colour and finish.

Steve

R

Richy C

I go along with Patrick , started with tamiya but have moved over to vallejo , as a lot of the other guys have said vallejo wins hands down , I also find with vallejo - a quick shake and your ready to go unlike tamiya acrylics which you have to stir for 5 minutes.

Richy

F

Fenlander

I will be going over to Vallejo to, the air type is just about airbrush ready with little or no thinning needed. They also do some good sets of colours, I am looking at the Panzer set as a stock builder with the usual blacks, whites and greys to build on them