which paint type for balsa

R

repsol

hello

i have just started to build my first wooden ship but iam not sure which paint type to use for the hull ect .also do i need a primer ,if so which type is best to use.

thanks for any info

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
helloi have just started to build my first wooden ship but iam not sure which paint type to use for the hull ect .also do i need a primer ,if so which type is best to use.

thanks for any info
Hi,

How would you be applying the paint. How big is the ship?.

Andy

R

repsol

\ said:
Hi,How would you be applying the paint. How big is the ship?.

Andy
hello

the ship is about 18 inches long . i was going to use a brush or possibly a tin of aerosol.

thanks

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Repsol and welcome to Scale Models. Nice to see another R/C boat modeller amongst the ranks!

If your hull is balsa, as your title would indicate, then I would definately recommend getting some strength into it. If you don't the slightest knock will result in a hole and a lot of tears!!

I would buy a tin of fibre glass resin, Halfords do a small tin with a hardener, mix it up and paint it on. The first coat will soak straight into the balsa but the second coat should stay on top of it. Rub down between coats and wipe over with a thinners afterwards to clean any traces of wax off it. Then a couple of light coats of Halfords primer, followed by a very light dusting of matt black. When you rub the matt black away any imperfections in the surface will stand out and you can apply a bit of filler before rubbing down. Then another coat of primer before two or three top coats of Halfords acrylic car paint of your choice.

No I don't work for Halfords but you get get everything you need under one roof! If you haven't got a Halfords any car paint vendor will do.

You will then end up with a hard durable surface that will take the odd knock and scrape without risk of loss.

R

repsol

\ said:
Hi Repsol and welcome to Scale Models. Nice to see another R/C boat modeller amongst the ranks!If your hull is balsa, as your title would indicate, then I would definately recommend getting some strength into it. If you don't the slightest knock will result in a hole and a lot of tears!!

I would buy a tin of fibre glass resin, Halfords do a small tin with a hardener, mix it up and paint it on. The first coat will soak straight into the balsa but the second coat should stay on top of it. Rub down between coats and wipe over with a thinners afterwards to clean any traces of wax off it. Then a couple of light coats of Halfords primer, followed by a very light dusting of matt black. When you rub the matt black away any imperfections in the surface will stand out and you can apply a bit of filler before rubbing down. Then another coat of primer before two or three top coats of Halfords acrylic car paint of your choice.

No I don't work for Halfords but you get get everything you need under one roof! If you haven't got a Halfords any car paint vendor will do.

You will then end up with a hard durable surface that will take the odd knock and scrape without risk of loss.
thanks very much,halfords it is then

M

muphy

Hi,

Pls be kind to a newbie, my first post. I'm returning to RC after 20 years away and am building a high wing trainer my wife gave me 17 years ago. Would the use of glass resin and subsequent automotive painting be fuel proof, i'm thinking specifically around the cowling and engine bay which is nearly all balsa, rest of the aircraft will be solarfilm covered.

Thanks in advance,

Mark