White Ensign Models

M

Major Catastrophe

me again, sorry for the splurge of posts... Just noticed WEM, purveyors of all things photo etch are closing their doors as of 28th November.

What does everyone else do for their photo etch gear?

I've ordered some 1/700 naval flight deck crew for my forthcoming foray into a Roger Nigel ship from Hannants but was wondering about photo etch stuff for my Olympic project

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not a ship builder so I can't really answer the question. I gather there is a chance that WEM might be bought, but don't know the real situation and am well aware of how the rumour mill operates in cases like this. How it would operate and what lines would continue I have no idea.

John Snyder's succinct comment about too much money out and not enough in doesn't bode well for a continuation of the current business model.

For me it's just the superb Colourcoat paints that I'll miss.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yes, according to their Facebook page there is suggestion that there may be a buyer for the business yet. Hopefully!

You could try to obtain PE from Gold Medal Models http://www.goldmm.com/products.htm

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry to say it but I think that they over reached when they started to sell all the other types of kits. Would it have gone better if they had just stuck to ships and their paints? We will never know.

As for your question Rich. I can only suggest a Google search of the ship name and Photoetch.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

\ said:
me again, sorry for the splurge of posts... Just noticed WEM, purveyors of all things photo etch are closing their doors as of 28th November.What does everyone else do for their photo etch gear?

I've ordered some 1/700 naval flight deck crew for my forthcoming foray into a Roger Nigel ship from Hannants but was wondering about photo etch stuff for my Olympic project
Hannant do photo etch as well, let us know what you want and I can give you some websites. Derek

C

Caledonia

Out of stock, but they are around if you google titanic photo etch http://www.hlj.com/product/PITPE-310 Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just saw a message elsewhere from John Snyder (ex WEM) in which he seemed optimistic that much of their stuff would reappear under different labels "once the liquidators are finished flogging everything off."

We can only hope so.

Cheers

Steve

M

Major Catastrophe

Hope so, WEM had everything I need at the moment, hope they start up again in another guise soon

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
There are loads of places on line that sell pe and cheeper as well , I just bought the railings for my Yamato and they cost me £9 white ensign were selling them for £15 , I looked at the wooden decks as well , the Yamato 1/350 is going for £25 mine cost me £13 off ebay

G

Graham D

I just google the photetch and the ship name and get it from the cheapest place, that is usually e-bay. But do not be afraid to get them from abroad as some of the photo etch I have bought, is cheaper inc p+p than from the UK.